Real Estate Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2008 · 38 posts · 1 vote
I am currently in the process of looking to buy my first home in the next year or so and spoke with a mortgage broker I know as I was in the process (I guess you could say interviewing them) of speaking with him about investment properties and the financing options that are available and as I was speaking with him he mentioned becoming a realtor myself. I had thought about becoming a realtor before but when I went to a REI Seminar put on by the National Foreclosure Institute they mentioned that if you are a realtor than doing any type of short sale would be more of a pain than anything else because of all the disclosures that are needed because you are a realtor. Any recommendations from anybody out there. If you are a realtor are you able to purchase properties for investment and if so how do you go about it?
Involved In Real Estate · Naples Florida · Member since 2008 · 54 posts · 11 votes
18y
I have been investing for a while now and recently completed my Nevada licensing course. I will be joining a local broker in the next few months. So long as you have full disclusure and are acting ethically you should not have any problems. Good luck
Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 218 votes
18y
I have found that being licensed has AIDED my ability to complete the short sale process. As to buying properties, you just buy them. Depending on the local laws, the amount of information you must disclose is varied.
There are people that come down on both sides of this argument, but those that aren't licensed can never speak of the realities of being licensed, unlike those that are.
Involved In Real Estate · Anderson, SC · Member since 2008 · 350 posts · 70 votes
18y
Becoming licensed and then taking the next step to become a Realtor can help. You get additional tax writeoffs, access to MLS to find deals, free training at my association, I even get CRS as part of my association. Follow the code of ethics or it will cost you $-and it can be a thorn in the side of some people's business plan. So I see benefits to becoming Realtor/Investor. Much more to it I could go on and on.
Commercial Real Estate Broker · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 32 posts · 0 votes
18y
Having access to deals is a huge advantage when building you rportfolio or even finding youself a home. Full disclosure and the commission is yours as well.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Shreveport, LA · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
18y
If you have a relationship with an agent who is dedicated to finding the deals for you, then there wouldn't be a compelling reason to become an agent. Don't forget all the fees you have to pay each year.
If you don't, and you will be buying quite a few properties, then it makes sense to have access to the MLS to find those deals for yourself and build up a client base of investors.