How To Find a Good Realtor in a New Market?

How To Find a Good Realtor in a New Market?

Real Estate Investor · Waterbury, CT · Member since 2012 · 117 posts · 19 votes

I'm trying to find a new realtor who can quickly help me in a new market? I am wondering how other BP investors who invest out of state find realtors in a different market?

1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2011 · 189 posts · 33 votes
12y

Probably this website right here... I would make a new thread requesting references for the market.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2011 · 189 posts · 33 votes
    12y

    Probably this website right here... I would make a new thread requesting references for the market.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Winston be 100% transparent in what you want upfront. Then a broker/agent can say yes they will work with you or no way I want to do that.

    Example someone call me up and says for commercial real estate they want to find a 50 unit vacant apartment building gut job at 4,000 a door.

    I say " I don't want that business ". Lot's of red tape and time for me to make only 3,000 - 6,000 on 200k sales price.

    Someone else calls me up and says they have 700k cash of their own to invest and wants to buy a 3 million apartment building. If they are realistic I want to take that business.

    A broker/agent in the business awhile knows what they want and don't want. You can find newbies to do the low income crazy type stuff as they have no business.

  • Realtor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2013 · 278 posts · 114 votes
    12y

    What market are you looking to invest in? Are you interested in Michigan? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 21 votes
    12y
    Great advice Joel
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Winston Spence:

    I'm trying to find a new realtor who can quickly help me in a new market? I am wondering how other BP investors who invest out of state find realtors in a different market?

     This site right here. Post what your interested in. Im sure whatever your interested in doing someone has a keyword alert set to that. & they will respond if they can assist.

    For instance. If Cleveland Ohio is ever typed on this website I know about it in minutes.

  • Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2014 · 67 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    You really need to be candid and ask them about their current business emphasis. I know my clients want me to be their go-to based on my experience and the network I've built. It keeps me in the loop of specific deals that only my buyers would show interest in. If an agent takes on too many things at once, they will lose the war.

  • Ogden, UT · Member since 2013 · 266 posts · 51 votes
    12y

    this website would help you out. I would also contact some local rei clubs in the area, and ask for recommendations.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Winston Spence in addition to the other advice about knowing what you want and being transparent with them is establishing credibility with them. Brokers get paid when you close. So you need to be an investor who knows what he wants and has the ability to close a deal. Therefore, think though how you can position yourself as a closer prior to having conversations with brokers. 

  • Investor · Fall River, MA · Member since 2014 · 399 posts · 300 votes
    12y

    I found my realtor through an investor that I looked up to. I told him what I was looking to do and he pointed me in the direction of a realtor who is also an investor. I think it's very important to work with other investors. They know what a good deal is and most of the time, they want to see the new guys in a good position to succeed. At least that has been my experience.

    Glad to hear you are building the team!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.