Is Owning Your Own Real Estate Brokerage Profitable?

Is Owning Your Own Real Estate Brokerage Profitable?

Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 2 votes

Hi All,

I've been in real estate for 10 years. My first 6 years were in residential and the last 4 have been in commercial. I've been lucky to do better then the average agent on both sides of the field and have been very grateful of that. Being in my late 20s, I have a very deep desire to follow the goals I've set out in my life and one of those goals happen to be opening my own real estate brokerage.

For those who have their own brokerages, are they as profitable as you had hope? Does keeping that extra 10-40% make it worth the risk and effort of opening your own office?

My vision is to be a broker who is practicing, bringing in my own business and also sharing leads to the agents in house for a bit of a larger split to the house. Since having experience in both commercial and residential, I'd like to be able to handle both types of transactions and not just specifically one. Of course there are other things I'd plan on offering the agents in house, like training, incentives, maybe even profit sharing but my general questions are above.

I would love to hear some insight from some of the professional on this forum. Thank you all in advance!

1Reply
173 views

Most Popular Reply

Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 690 votes
10y

I'm going for it!  I know @Joel Owens is probably right, but I always want to find out for myself!  I'm trying to enter a market with some pretty deep pockets, and it isn't easy.  I've been cold calling to recruit and getting stone walled.... I won't give up though.  I've got a couple newbies that I'm going to train, and 2 that I've trained for a year.  We definitely have the best deal for agents, but right now the push back I'm getting from people in other organizations is that "I like the culture"  and "I like the training" and "I like my mentor"

Ugg... I'll keep you all posted :D 

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 288 votes
    9y

    @Mark Updegraff did you end up pulling the trigger on the brokerage?  How is it going so far?

  • Developer · Menlo Park, CA · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Having your own real estate brokerage, you'll rewarding yourself the independence. You work for yourself. You take after your own particular requests and you can't get fired. More importantly, you'll have the opportunity to settle on choices that are vital to your own particular business achievement. To stand on your own two feet and not be dependent upon any other person builds character and quality that can never be taken from you. With regards to profit, you'll have a great chance to develop your abilities and watch as your income grows relatively, uncapped. As you turn out to be better at what you do, the rewards will flow.

  • Developer · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 32 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Monica Breckenridge:

    I also send out a lot of We Buy Houses marketing because I'm an investor as well. So I do buy a large portion of these, but most of them end up being listings. I do market a lot and my branding is incredible and people remember it. I also get lots of business from my directional signs going to my listings. I have one person in my office dedicated to handling buyer leads and getting them qualified. Then I have another person handling seller leads and scheduling my apts. last week we signed up 10 listings. I also work with a lot of builders. I will market their listings for free to bring in the buyer lead. They will pay 4-5% commission.

     So you list the house for free, what happens when a buyers agent brings the buyer? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2010 · 476 posts · 305 votes
    7y

    @Rashad Jones Jennings when I market a builder listing I am not their listing agent. Im just marketing them to be the buyers agent. So then the builder will pay me a commission.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.