Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Derek Decoste
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
MLS assistant access - DFW

Derek Decoste
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Oct 20 2013, 19:10

I am looking to gain assistant access to the North Texas MLS system. I am about to start a direct mail marketing campaign and am looking for the access to gain comp information. I would be willing to either pay for the access, or work out a deal where I could throw leads your way since I will be sending out a significant amount of letters.

If this is breaking any forum or Realtor rules, please let me know, and I will remove it.

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
James Mudd
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Realtor - Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Realtor - Dallas, TX
Replied Nov 28 2013, 07:59

Derek,

Just curious if you found a solution to this question? I am interested in gaining access to North Texas MLS as well. I am a licensed real estate agent, however I am not with a broker. Does anybody know how much it costs to join MLS…and a broker in DFW I can hang my license with..??

I would be happy to help you out Derek, if I ever gain access…thanks for bringing this topic to the forum !!!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Feltus
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth , TX
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth , TX
Replied Nov 28 2013, 08:34

@James Mudd Its roughly $2,500 to $3,000 annually after everything is said and done to maintain an active license. In addition their are additional fees such as errors and omissions that occur on a per transaction basis.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Nov 28 2013, 08:54
Derek,

Just pay a realtor to run the comps for you and build a relationship with the realtor and show the realtor you will use the them to close the deals and then the realtor will know you are for real and then the realtor will be happy to run comps for free.

Joe Gore

User Stats

Votes
James Mudd
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Realtor - Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Realtor - Dallas, TX
Replied Nov 28 2013, 08:58

Chris…I don't believe I need E&O insurance….I don't want to be a real estate agent…just want to use MLS for my personal real estate investments.

User Stats

Votes
Kim H.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Dallas
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Dallas
Replied Nov 28 2013, 18:47

Real estate agents and assistants cannot allow others access to their MLS accounts. It is best to develop a relationship with an agent or find a broker to sponsor you. That way you can gain access yourself by becoming a member of the local real estate board. It will cost you $ in fees and dues but you will save a lot on commissions if you are selling your own properties. However, I only allow my agents to have two complimentary personal transactions per year. I carry the E&O for all of my agents.

User Stats

Votes
David Edgerton
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Nov 28 2013, 20:23

realacquisitions.com
I have not signed up for this service yet,(only in limited markets in Texas) but have know about this company for nearly a year. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Derek Decoste
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Dec 3 2013, 14:08

Thanks all for the replies.

I do have a relationship with a few Realtors and that is how I am currently pulling comps. I would rather pull them myself as I believe it would best improve my knowledge of the area. It seems like I will just need to continue with this method until I have a few more deals under my belt and am willing to get licensed myself.

David - thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look.

James - good luck obtaining access yourself!

Derek

User Stats

Votes
Akiva L.
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Dec 3 2013, 21:22

Do you have any RE license holding companies in TX that provide you to get MLS access?

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Thom
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Replied Dec 4 2013, 02:06

check out investway.com . that can get you mls access.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kaufman
  • Highland Village, TX
Votes |
  • Highland Village, TX
Replied Dec 4 2013, 17:28

Hey Derek

Send me a PM...I might be able to help you out.

Account Closed
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Dec 4 2013, 18:27

Shawn,

Does investway.com give you the same info as MLS?

Joe Gore

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kaufman
  • Highland Village, TX
Votes |
  • Highland Village, TX
Replied Dec 4 2013, 19:00

Investway does give you the exact same comps that you would get from the MLS. There is a fee but to me it is worth it. They have a few vids on YouTube too. You can sign up for a free trial and check it out. I am not affiliated with them at all BP.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Thom
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Replied Dec 4 2013, 20:44

From what I've seen investway is ALMOST as good as MLS for comps. I compared it once and there were several listing investway did not have, but it had most. I did not do extensive research.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Dec 4 2013, 20:49

The key in TX is to BECOME an assistant to a licensed realtor. They'll have you working on menial tasks, but you also are able to run your own comps and LISTS if you're doing direct mail. Make friends with a realtor that might need a little help with some mundane tasks.

Don't make the presentation about what you need. Make it about how you have some extra time, and want to learn, and want to help them. What you need will take care of itself once you get your foot in the door. It's all about what you have to offer.

Account Closed
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Dec 4 2013, 20:57
Shane,

I agree with you. I always try to find a real estate agent just starting out and call and say can we meet for lunch or a cup of coffee, and then I never say what I need I say will it be ok if I refer investors or buyers, your way and my services is free but maybe one day you can help me or buy lunch.

Joe Gore

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kaufman
  • Highland Village, TX
Votes |
  • Highland Village, TX
Replied Dec 4 2013, 22:30

I am just going to get my RE license....should be done here in a few weeks. So if anyone needs an investor friendly realtor in DFW let me know.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Alexander
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Aug 13 2015, 14:27

@James Mudd @Jason Kaufman

Fellas - I'm also interested in getting access to the MLS. Originally I was planning on getting my license but after reading about all the fees associated with it, it wasn't as appealing. My use for the MLS wouldn't be as a typical agent but rather like James said for my own personal use with my own investments. Did either of you figure out a solution? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey McKee
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Replied Jun 19 2024, 11:02
Quote from @James Mudd:

Derek,

Just curious if you found a solution to this question? I am interested in gaining access to North Texas MLS as well. I am a licensed real estate agent, however I am not with a broker. Does anybody know how much it costs to join MLS…and a broker in DFW I can hang my license with..??

I would be happy to help you out Derek, if I ever gain access…thanks for bringing this topic to the forum !!!

Derek, Did you ever end up hanging your hat with a broker? I would be happy to jump on a call and discuss fees jo join MLS and brokerage.

McKee Realty Services and eXp Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey McKee
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Replied Jun 19 2024, 11:02
Quote from @Jason Kaufman:
I am just going to get my RE license....should be done here in a few weeks. So if anyone needs an investor friendly realtor in DFW let me know.

Hows it going with getting your license?  

McKee Realty Services and eXp Realty  Logo