interested in part time work in real estate as a rookie

interested in part time work in real estate as a rookie

Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to the real estate world. I work full time but I am interested in doing something in real estate part time or a few hours a week/weekend. My goals are to buy my first STR in a year or so. Any suggestions are appreciated.

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

Proceed with caution. The real estate industry is 24/7 and you have to really be on the top of your game. I work full time as well and part time as an agent. The tough question I had to ask myself is how am I going to stay ahead considering all these agents are putting in work 14 hours a day when I can't? It's possible, just set realistic expectations.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Heather Moore:

    Hi everyone,

    I am a newbie to the real estate world. I work full time but I am interested in doing something in real estate part time or a few hours a week/weekend. My goals are to buy my first STR in a year or so. Any suggestions are appreciated.


     Have you already passed real estate license exam?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Proceed with caution. The real estate industry is 24/7 and you have to really be on the top of your game. I work full time as well and part time as an agent. The tough question I had to ask myself is how am I going to stay ahead considering all these agents are putting in work 14 hours a day when I can't? It's possible, just set realistic expectations.

  • Investor · Tallahassee · Member since 2019 · 249 posts · 93 votes
    4y

    Best thing you can do is network and educate yourself as much as possible. Books, YT, podcasts, talk to investors, meet up with them and just absorb as much as you can. 

    Depending on your goals, I recommend shadowing or providing value to someone that is doing something you want to do. Trying to learn how to fix a house, work under a handyman/contractor on the weekends for minimum wage or free even for a couple times and build that skill. Be an assistant to a flipper and learn the ins and outs of it etc

    You can also just throw yourself in and start learning by doing. Hope that helps. 

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kanchi Ji:
    Quote from @Heather Moore:

    Hi everyone,

    I am a newbie to the real estate world. I work full time but I am interested in doing something in real estate part time or a few hours a week/weekend. My goals are to buy my first STR in a year or so. Any suggestions are appreciated.


     Have you already passed real estate license exam? I have not taken the courses yet but that will be a goal of mine


  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:

    Proceed with caution. The real estate industry is 24/7 and you have to really be on the top of your game. I work full time as well and part time as an agent. The tough question I had to ask myself is how am I going to stay ahead considering all these agents are putting in work 14 hours a day when I can't? It's possible, just set realistic expectations.


     I am just trying to get my feet wet- assist someone in real estate . I am aware that I cannot be real estate agent part time. Thank you for the advice.

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Yu Liu:

    Best thing you can do is network and educate yourself as much as possible. Books, YT, podcasts, talk to investors, meet up with them and just absorb as much as you can. 

    Depending on your goals, I recommend shadowing or providing value to someone that is doing something you want to do. Trying to learn how to fix a house, work under a handyman/contractor on the weekends for minimum wage or free even for a couple times and build that skill. Be an assistant to a flipper and learn the ins and outs of it etc

    You can also just throw yourself in and start learning by doing. Hope that helps. 

    Thank you for this advice! I am willing to assist someone in their type of real estate field. I have been listening to the podcasts and audible books. 
  • General Contractor · Palm Desert, CA · Member since 2016 · 193 posts · 79 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Heather Moore:
    Quote from @Kanchi Ji:
    Quote from @Heather Moore:

    Hi everyone,

    I am a newbie to the real estate world. I work full time but I am interested in doing something in real estate part time or a few hours a week/weekend. My goals are to buy my first STR in a year or so. Any suggestions are appreciated.


     Have you already passed real estate license exam? I have not taken the courses yet but that will be a goal of mine


    Start by reading "Rich Dad Poor Dad" if you haven't already. Then the "Cash Flow Quadrant"
    They will change your mindset forever!
  • Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Heather Moore:
    Quote from @Kanchi Ji:
    Quote from @Heather Moore:

     have not taken the courses yet but that will be a goal of mine



     Are you planning to work as an agent or support work?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.