Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Josh Yamada
Pro Member
Votes |
Newbie potentially investing Barstow, CA...good idea?

Josh Yamada
Pro Member
Posted Sep 4 2021, 09:26

I'm trying to get into REI because I want more time to spend with family, friends, and to focus on my health. My best friend is a real estate agent who's also getting into REI, but he's looking out of state. I'd like my first "deal" to be somewhat local so my friend threw out Barstow, CA as an option. Here's more of the specifics I told him:

• Small multi-family
  • Semi-local location
  • Looking for cash-flow

I know it's not much to go on, but I'm still figuring out the rest (i.e., budget).  

Anyway, the main reason for my post is to ask, has anyone invested in Barstow, Ca?  I've always had the general feeling that Barstow is not a great area (drugs, crime, poor schools).  I did look at a crime map website and saw virtually no crime, which I assume I messed up the search (it was a quick search).  

Another thing I was going to do is contact a property management company to see what their experiences have been in the area and if there are any "good" areas in Barstow.  

My final thought is that I've typically been stuck in analysis paralysis and I'm trying to be more balanced (action supported by analysis).  I've heard from BP podcasts that it's more important that I get in the game than have my first deal be a homerun, BUT I also don't want to strike out.  Would investing in Barstow, CA just setting my self up to strike out?

Thanks BP community!

User Stats

Votes
        Lynnette E.
        • Rental Property Investor
        • Tennessee
        Votes |
        • Tennessee
        Replied Sep 4 2021, 18:05

You would really need to consider if yu can deal with the quality of tenants you will be getting.  If the houses are lower price, your tenants will be the druggies, gang members.  How do you feel about trying to collect rent from them or evicting them?  Its definitely business for some, not for me.  I'd be scared they would kill or hurt me when I tried to get rent or evict them.

If you invest in the higher priced housing there, I would guess that the tenant pool would be limited as the people living in that market could buy their own house.

Maybe Helendale, Silver Lakes?

Account Closed
        Votes |
        Replied Sep 4 2021, 18:15

Every time I go to Barstow it looks like a city that has been dying for several years. More than 50% of the store are vacant and almost every property looks like a city dump. I am guessing that the only only thing to do in Barstow is sex, drugs and alcohol.

BiggerPockets logo
        BiggerPockets
        |
        Sponsored
        Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
        Natanya Vidales
        • New to Real Estate
        • Redlands, Ca
        Votes |
        • New to Real Estate
        • Redlands, Ca
        Replied Sep 4 2021, 22:03

Why Barstow are you interested in other areas in Ca? 

User Stats

Votes
        Josh Yamada
        Pro Member
        Votes |
        Pro Member
        Replied Sep 5 2021, 11:34
        Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:

You would really need to consider if yu can deal with the quality of tenants you will be getting.  If the houses are lower price, your tenants will be the druggies, gang members.  How do you feel about trying to collect rent from them or evicting them?  Its definitely business for some, not for me.  I'd be scared they would kill or hurt me when I tried to get rent or evict them.

If you invest in the higher priced housing there, I would guess that the tenant pool would be limited as the people living in that market could buy their own house.

Maybe Helendale, Silver Lakes?

That's what I'm worried about...quality of tenants.  I'd be using a property manager, but that also brings up the question, would a property manager even want to manage properties in the area?  Probably going to stay clear of Barstow.  

Thanks for the input!

User Stats

Votes
        Josh Yamada
        Pro Member
        Votes |
        Pro Member
        Replied Sep 5 2021, 11:37
        Originally posted by @Account Closed:

Every time I go to Barstow it looks like a city that has been dying for several years. More than 50% of the store are vacant and almost every property looks like a city dump. I am guessing that the only only thing to do in Barstow is sex, drugs and alcohol.

Definitely what I'm worried about.  Just wanted to confirm my suspicions.

User Stats

Votes
        Josh Yamada
        Pro Member
        Votes |
        Pro Member
        Replied Sep 5 2021, 11:51
        Originally posted by @Natanya Vidales:

Why Barstow are you interested in other areas in Ca? 

I'm not interested in Barstow specifically.  My friend (real estate agent) threw out some properties (2 four-plexes) that are pretty cheap (i guess for obvious reasons).  I will say, when I asked him to send me small multi-family listings to analyze I wasn't specific of what locations to focus on.  

Am I interested in other areas in Cali?  Yes...just don't know where.  At least, I don't know the areas that cash flow.  I'd love to invest locally, but I've run numbers in my area and nothing cash flows which I guess isn't surprising.

I know you didn't ask this, but why Cali? Being new to REI we (wife and I) feel more comfortable investing "local" than out of state for our first investment property.

User Stats

Votes
        Natanya Vidales
        • New to Real Estate
        • Redlands, Ca
        Votes |
        • New to Real Estate
        • Redlands, Ca
        Replied Sep 5 2021, 14:56

Oh okay I was just curious I am I am in Southern California as well and I too am looking to invest locally for the same reasons. I am new to RE investing. I’m actually looking to connect with others in the area not sure if you are interested. 

User Stats

Votes
        Fernan Nava
        • Barstow, CA
        Votes |
        • Barstow, CA
        Replied Sep 5 2021, 17:55

The name of the town is not very important right now. Right now is a great market for flipping. And Barstow is as good as many other small and medium size towns. Now if you finances allowed it by all means invest in riverside corona oc  la. But if ur limited in cash and financial reach like most newbies, Barstow is waiting.

User Stats

Votes
        Jo-Ann Lapin
        Pro Member
        • Loan Officer
        • Tustin, CA
        Votes |
        Pro Member
        • Loan Officer
        • Tustin, CA
        Replied Sep 6 2021, 08:42

Keep in my that we have peaked in most California markets for sometime now. Any California transaction even if a flip, must be looked at for a long term outcome . Employment and diversity of employment really matters . I hope this helps . Also there are other more diversified less expensive areas in California that still make sense despite what you hear and read about .

User Stats

Votes
        Paul Haefele
        • Lender
        • Barstow, CA
        Votes |
        • Lender
        • Barstow, CA
        Replied Sep 7 2021, 18:57

I actually live in Barstow and have a few rental properties that cash flow very well. Finding the properties that will work for you is not a real issue but like mentioned before you have to be careful with tenant quality and location. I love all of my tenants so it can be done but you have to be ready to really screen well and be patient/careful with everything that goes in to selecting great tenants.

User Stats

Votes
        Charles Renn
        • Real Estate Agent
        • Los Angeles, CA
        Votes |
        • Real Estate Agent
        • Los Angeles, CA
        Replied Sep 9 2021, 09:07

Hi @Josh Yamada and @Natanya Vidales,

You've got a lot of good advice in this thread already, but here are my two cents. If you don't currently own your residence, I'd recommend considering a duplex to house hack. If you don't want to live in Barstow there are other parts of SoCal, maybe closer to where you are familiar, that can be a great starter to your portfolio. Even if you do currently own your residence, Riverside and San Bernardino county have options for cash flowing multi-family properties.

Let me know if I can provide further value and insight.

Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
        Alexis DalPont
        • Southern California
        Votes |
        • Southern California
        Replied Sep 29 2021, 12:15

@Paul Haefele Do you self manage or do you have a property manager? If you have a property manager, would you recommend them? Are there areas that you would recommend to stay clear of? 

BiggerPockets logo
        Network With Property Managers
        |
        BiggerPockets
        Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
        Alexis DalPont
        • Southern California
        Votes |
        • Southern California
        Replied Sep 29 2021, 12:17

@Charles Renn How would you recommend narrowing down search results for a "duplex"? Is it the multi-family filter? I feel like I don't seem to have much luck. 

User Stats

Votes
        Charles Renn
        • Real Estate Agent
        • Los Angeles, CA
        Votes |
        • Real Estate Agent
        • Los Angeles, CA
        Replied Sep 29 2021, 12:59

Hi @Alexis DalPont, as a real estate agent I use the MLS which offers more options to filter search results. The consumer websites like realtor, zillow, redfin have some sort of multi-family filter, but I don't use it when deal finding for my clients. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
        Paul Haefele
        • Lender
        • Barstow, CA
        Votes |
        • Lender
        • Barstow, CA
        Replied Jan 25 2022, 16:33

@Alexis DalPont Hi Alexis, sorry for the late reply. I do self manage at the moment but the company I work for does have a property management department that is very good if that interests you as well. As for areas in Barstow I can't speak on specific areas on here of course but there are not too many that I would personally avoid. 

User Stats

Votes
        Val C.
        • Los Angeles, CA
        Votes |
        • Los Angeles, CA
        Replied Mar 17 2023, 13:08

@Paul Haefele Hi Paul, How’s the Barstow Market these days any good cash flow? Thank you