A security deposit and an advance rent accounts in Florida.

A security deposit and an advance rent accounts in Florida.

New to Real Estate · SF Bay Area, CA · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hi. 
I live in California, and I recently purchased a rental property in Florida. 

As far as I understand, Florida law requires to hold a security deposit and advance rent on separate accounts in a "Florida banking institution." 

What does this mean exactly? Will a nationwide bank as Chase or Capital One work, or should I look for some local bank? 

Thanks. Alexey

0Reply
24 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 89 votes
    5y

    Keeping the deposit in a Florida Bank.

    Any security deposit account, whether interest bearing or not, MUST be kept in a Florida bank.

    The account must be in a bank that is chartered to do business in Florida. Most, but not all, banks that are physically located within the state fit into this category. (Not sure about your bank? Ask them if they are chartered in Florida. They easily know the answer.) If an out‐of‐state owner wants to hold the deposit in his own account, it needs to meet this criteria. It is not sufficient for the owner to place the deposit in national bank located in his home state which has branches in Florida.

    I have attached a link of Florida Chartered Banks for you in the link below! 

    Florida Chartered Banks

  • New to Real Estate · SF Bay Area, CA · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thanks, @Dwayne Byrd, that helps!
    I needed the right keyword apparently :)

  • Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    @Dwayne Byrd, Thank you for sharing the list. I found the FL statutes here very helpful. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/sta...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.