Are my Deferred college loans hurting my credit score?

Are my Deferred college loans hurting my credit score?

Rental Property Investor · Jersey Shore · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 22 votes

I have three small college loans in deferment while I am finishing my degree. I haven't payed the loans off because they are some of my longest loans on my report.

Experian is reporting that that my college loans are all closed. My credit score is 80 points lower with Experian. 

TransUnion and Equifax both show the 3 loans as being open. 

I am trying to get financing for a commercial property, but I am running into a road block with my lower Experian score.


Any Suggestions?


0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gregg Reinbold:

    I have three small college loans in deferment while I am finishing my degree. I haven't payed the loans off because they are some of my longest loans on my report.

    Experian is reporting that that my college loans are all closed. My credit score is 80 points lower with Experian. 

    TransUnion and Equifax both show the 3 loans as being open. 

    I am trying to get financing for a commercial property, but I am running into a road block with my lower Experian score.


    Any Suggestions?


     Deferment of student loans has no effect on your credit score. Get a copy of your Experian credit report and go through line by line. There may be some other problems. On time payments and revolving credit utilization make up the majority of your score. Length of credit and hard pull inquiries have an effect too. My credit score dropped by 20, simply going from 1 credit inquiry to 2 credit inquiries over the last 12 months.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.