DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE!

DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE!

Wendell ButlerPro Member
Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 139 posts · 95 votes

When investing in real estate remember to DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE!

Just had an offer accepted on a nice little multifamily unit property. I was set to do a final walkthrough within 72 hours and start the process to close. I noticed the multifamily was zoned as an R-1 (single family), so I checked the towns zoning bylaws and found it was illegal to have a duplex in that zone in that town. Maybe it had permits to be a duplex, maybe it was grandfathered in, maybe not, but I checked it out to make sure.

After calling the town and speaking to a few building/code enforcement staff, I found this was an illegal duplex with no permits. They already have been notified of this and sent letters to the owners about it.

Now if I continued and bought this property, I would have been on the hook for an illegal duplex - meaning the town could make me rip it apart and convert it back to a single family with my own money.

Safe to say we walked from this property. Remember to always do your due diligence on anything you do, especially in this quick crazy sellers market right now. Realtors, sellers etc. won't give you all the information.

Do not make a mistake which can cost you a lot of money because you got too excited about a property. Always protect yourself!

I am pretty new to investing and if I got caught up in this property that would have been a real bad way to start off my real estate career. 

Anyone else have any stories or lessons they learned similar to this?

5Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SyriosPro Member
Moderator
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y

Amen. Due diligence is super important. We've found properties with unpermitted additions, but that's not uncommon out here. Never bought a duplex that used to be a house and was switched without permits, but have found properties that were considered "legal, nonconforming" and retraded because such status reduces its value.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Amen. Due diligence is super important. We've found properties with unpermitted additions, but that's not uncommon out here. Never bought a duplex that used to be a house and was switched without permits, but have found properties that were considered "legal, nonconforming" and retraded because such status reduces its value.

  • Realtor · Falls Church, VA · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    Woof - avoided a big one! Nice work!

  • Rental Property Investor · Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2018 · 655 posts · 900 votes
    5y

    @Wendell Butler

    Nice work Wendell! Do your due DILIGENCE.  Although this sentiment is talked about religiously and everyone knows they need to to this, there never fails to be a continuous stream of posts by investors trying to figure out how they can fix a problem after closing when they didn't do their due diligence.

    You learned a great lesson.  Never trust what someone tells you and even never trust what is in the paperwork gives you until that information if personally verified by you or an agent that you completely trust.

  • Wendell ButlerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 139 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Damaso Bautista absolutely, this was a great learning experience!

  • Contractor · Milltown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 297 posts · 213 votes
    5y

    @Wendell Butler Does anyone have a complete list of residential Due Diligence? It would be a great resource. Of course the low level unethical folks won’t be happy about it, but it would certainly help the people trying to do it right.

  • Wendell ButlerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 139 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Robert S. I would love that as well! I am making a list as I learn, but having a standard practice one would be great. Most books I have read actually didn't mention the zoning laws (had to learn on my own and thankfully I did) so I am sure there are others I am missing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.