GED vs High School diploma

GED vs High School diploma

Prineville, OR · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi! I am 16 in high school with a deep passion and obsession for real estate investment (I'm kind of a newbie). I have always really hated the normal school system, and always found myself learning more about things I am passionate about from the internet than what I am learning from school. Right now I am considering getting my GED rather than finishing high school so I can focus my time on things more important to me, like learning about real estate, making money from a 9-5, and building relationships with people that I value. I don't have any intentions to go to college whatsoever, my current possibilities of work that I am passionate about are real estate, music, and culinary arts, none of which I have any interest of going to college for, thus getting a GED instead of finishing my high school diploma seems like a very good option for me. 

So my question is a pretty basic one I hope, if I want to borrow money for a project in the future, whatever that may be, will having a GED lower my ability to get a loan compared to having a normal high school diploma? Are there other factors I should consider in real estate as far as my education avenues? Do you guys on the forums think it would be a good idea to get a GED over a normal diploma?

0Reply
30 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan SheeksPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 621 posts · 362 votes
    5y

    Hey @Elliott Wood. I don't believe having a diploma vs a GED will affect your ability to borrow money in the future. But the decision to get the GED vs staying in school and graduating as normal is a tough call. That has to be a personal decision that is made along with your parents.

    But either way, congrats to you for your ambition! I work with a bunch of young aspiring real estate investors just like you (in a free online group), and I am willing to help you out with some advice or even chat on the phone if you wish. But I first recommend you read this article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I am a high school teacher in Colorado and I am always looking to help young people get started in real estate investing or help in any way I can. Let me know if you want to chat sometime. https://www.biggerpockets.com/

  • Prineville, OR · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Dan Sheeks

    Thank you so much! I didn’t mention it, but I have had the conversation with my parents and they are definitely on the fence about it, as am I. I will definitely check out that article and see about contacting you in the near future!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.