Noob looking for mentor?

Noob looking for mentor?

New to Real Estate · OH · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 3 votes

edit:  my title should be a statement-not a question.  "I am a noob looking for a mentor."


I'm spending a lot of time reading, learning, and there are a million topics to cover.  I'm still trying to refine my goals, my strategy and my options.  But with so much information, and so many things to consider in my local market, I'd like to find a mentor that can help me refine my thoughts and guide me through the process.  How would I go about finding a mentor or guide?  I don't know if that's a 'thing' but I"d be willing to pay, share profit on a deal, or help compensate (within reason, of course) for someone's time.  I've traded some pings with a few people but they are realtors, lenders or they represent their interests and not sure I'm getting objective information for MY interests.

I want to shorten my learning curve, avoid costly mistakes, and shape a strategy and goals.

Thanks for any guidance on the topic.

0Reply
12 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @John Hardy it is hard for someone to mentor you when you don't know what you want.  If you haven't even gotten past rentals vs. flipping it will be difficult.  Even more so if you want someone familiar with your local market.

  • New to Real Estate · OH · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Aaron K. Thanks. Ive got directional ideas. SFH. up to 4 unit rentals. No flip, no brrrr, no house hacking, not doing my own prop management...building longer term wealth higher priority ro me than short term cash flow...also have 2 or 3 markets in mind. Ive got 4 properties evaluating now. Just need sounding board and mentor to check me, poke holes in what I'm thinking, guide me thru process. I'd like to rent my current primary and go find some place to live.

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I'm happy to poke holes in a plan, I'm the wet blanket of BP sometimes.  You're probably gonna want to evaluate more than 4 properties though.  What markets are you looking at?

  • Mack BensonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Woodbury, MN · Member since 2018 · 299 posts · 299 votes
    6y

    For the 2 or 3 markets you are interested in how many times have you visited? I'm a firm believer that the best way to find a mentor is to network with as many people as you can and add value whenever possible. Some of my best mentors have been my vendors if they are also investors. Right now I am in a paid mentorship program but I didn't join that until I gained a clarity and focus of my short and long term goals. For small properties you should be able to find local investors who you can help in some way in exchange for learning. You may be able to work for cheap or free and get the knowledge you need.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.