Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 18 votes
I’m a Realtor although my goal is to invest myself and solely work with investors. My question is what do you look for in an investor friendly agent if you’re working with one at all? What do you determine valuable working with an agent vs going at it alone? Thank you for your time and responses
Investor · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 278 votes
6y
100% an good agent is worth it over going it alone. You can't do it all yourself.
Things that I look for in an Investor friendly agent: 1. Be willing to submit my offers, even if they're low. 2. Be open to understanding my strategies and process. 3. Represent me over worrying that other agents won't like the offers you make for me. 4. Be available (I get not 24/7) but follow up within 24 hours if possible. 5. Be hard working and open minded.
Really, just like anyone else...we want a partner that's willing to work and represent us and our deals.
Investor · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 278 votes
6y
100% an good agent is worth it over going it alone. You can't do it all yourself.
Things that I look for in an Investor friendly agent: 1. Be willing to submit my offers, even if they're low. 2. Be open to understanding my strategies and process. 3. Represent me over worrying that other agents won't like the offers you make for me. 4. Be available (I get not 24/7) but follow up within 24 hours if possible. 5. Be hard working and open minded.
Really, just like anyone else...we want a partner that's willing to work and represent us and our deals.
@Andrea Weule provided some excellent advice. Investor agents need to also know what a good deal to their buyer looks like. Get to understand what makes a potentially profitable deal. Investors are looking for projects that are attractive to their wallets. Consumers are looking for homes that are attractive to live in.
Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2018 · 974 posts · 645 votes
6y
@Milan Dixon I would add to the great above responses - an agent that knows how to create a great deal - e.g., house has unfinished basement or there is a mold issue. An agent that knows where opportunity Lies and isn’t afraid to bring it up.
Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y
I have done a couple crash courses at my office for agents - how to invest. Shocking how few do. Young agents sometimes ask me how to work with investors, because they think it's an easy source of repeat business and I usually tell them to working with residential buyers is a lot easier and a lot more lucrative.
I should mention that I have been an investor long before I became an agent.
As a young agent you can work with a green investor, which is a desaster for both, because neither of you knows much. Or you try to work with experienced investors, but they already know experienced agents.
Ideally as an "investor friendly agent" you know more than your investor client, so you can coach them, but there is so much to learn about investing; from knowing how to rehab and who stuff costs to understanding rents, ARV and comps, financing, contractors, developing a good strategy, knowing where and what to buy etc etc Being willing to work your butt off and write many low ball offers sounds great, but will not get either of you ahead, in particular in this market.
My suggestion:
If you are a new agent, focus on working with residential (first time) buyers.
If you are a new investor, find an agent, who has been investing and can guide you!
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 531 posts · 310 votes
6y
@Milan Dixon For me its the willingness to understand that its all based on the numbers. Don't try to sell me on anything else other than numbers and I will trust you.
Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
@Milan Dixon I think there are a few areas that can shine, and like the rest of real estate, it is finding your niche and owning it. As an investor, I would want agents that can a) get me a deal others can't and b) not hum and haw about submitting a low offer.
Generally, I agree with Marcus. Investor agents tend to be investors themselves. And at the end of the day a good real estate agent is a good agent, whether you work with investors, first time buyers, or high end buyers. Find you niche, market yourself and deliver results, then let the referrals start coming in.
Lastly, I will say in my area there does not seem to be a standout agent in the small multi space: duplex to four family. This is a very approachable niche for investors, so if there is not someone dominating that space in your market, it could be a good area to focus. But again, getting listings is your best way to get buyers.
Columbus, GA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 31 votes
6y
@Milan Dixon I’m not an investor yet bc I haven’t bought any property although looking but I’m working w an agent that helps me out a lot so far. He understands I’m looking for an investment and not just the “Aw that’s cute” house. He has been able to show me any property I want. He will put in my offers even when there low. ( I look at property and the numbers, ignore asking price offer what works for you) he is willing to work through any option I’ve asked and he’s always responded quickly if you find someone that can do that I think you’ve got yourself a good agent if not maybe look for another
Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 71 votes
6y
@Milan Dixon I am an agent that works with investors. I find that majority of my investors are looking for someone that will listen to exactly what they want and not blow their inbox up with deals that they aren't looking for. If you send your investors 4 options, they will choose none of them. Send them the properties they want and they will trust you.
Selling any sort of property is all relational. If you don't build some sort of foundational relationship with your investors, they will not be as likely to buy with you. I've found that it is important to check in with my investors every once in a while if I haven't communicated with them in a while, and also check in with them after I have sent them a property that they didn't purchase. I want to know exactly what they did not like about the property in order to tailor future emails to their preferences.
An investor friendly agent is a licensed real estate professional who has experience with investment properties, has worked with investors, and has knowledge of the local market. Said agent will be an investor, as well. They will help find deals, analyze them, make offers, and sell properties as necessary.