living in jacksonville florida or orange county california?

living in jacksonville florida or orange county california?

Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone!

Have you lived in both Jacksonville FL and Orange County? I am currently living in orange county. the living expense in Orange County is pretty high so I am wondering if I should move to Jacksonville FL. i've heard that's pretty affordable to live in JAX and the unemployment rate is low, however the climate is not as good as California and overall pay is lower in JAX. if you have lived in both places, what do you like and dislike about Orange County California and Jacksonville FL?

Thanks!

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 10 votes
6y

@Reese Peterson Hello Reese, I reside in Jacksonville Fl currently and happen to be from Irvine California and San Diego prior to moving here.

There are definitely pros about the weather you can’t beat in Southern California however when you look at overall cost of living and high performing / growing economy I would highly suggest looking into Jacksonville.

Outside of that, Jacksonville is a great area for REI with so much room for growth while still being more affordable than a lot of other markets in the US.

I can send you a couple links on some benefits to moving in the Jacksonville area and things to do when your out here if you’d like!

Just sent you a message.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    Have not lived both places but I will say as far as the pay is concerned- one of the real perks about Florida is the lack of income tax. Since cost of living is so much less, companies can take that into consideration when structuring pay scales. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Reese Peterson Hello Reese, I reside in Jacksonville Fl currently and happen to be from Irvine California and San Diego prior to moving here.

    There are definitely pros about the weather you can’t beat in Southern California however when you look at overall cost of living and high performing / growing economy I would highly suggest looking into Jacksonville.

    Outside of that, Jacksonville is a great area for REI with so much room for growth while still being more affordable than a lot of other markets in the US.

    I can send you a couple links on some benefits to moving in the Jacksonville area and things to do when your out here if you’d like!

    Just sent you a message.

  • Orange County California · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Reese I spent a few years in Jacksonville around 1994-1998.  I have lived in OC since 1999.  I was in the military and deployed a lot.  The city had a million people at the time but the sq mileage of city is vast and it didn't feel like there was that many people.  If you love the water, there is ton of inland water ways and of course the beaches.  I grew up in Oregon and joined Navy to get to SD so I was not thrilled to get stationed in Jacksonville, but looking back it was a great place to live.  Very affordable.  As I tell my wife, when we leave So. California all other weather will be miserable because we are so spoiled here.  Jacksonville is humid and will take a year or so to condition to.  Also it tends to rain everyday at 2pm.  Not really, but it happens enough the joke is you can set your watch by it.  

  • Property Manager · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2016 · 182 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    The cultural / political venues are strikingly different for sure.

    I've lived farther southeast of Jacksonville @ the Atlantic Ocean in  PonteVedra Beach and it all seemed like south Georgia to me. 

    Both locales should be good for a golf enthusiast though :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.