Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Kelvin Yuchen
Votes |
Associate Agent with Redfin (Starting Out)

Kelvin Yuchen
Posted Apr 10 2020, 10:40

HI everybody! I am 24 years old and I have a FT job already working 40-50 hours per week in Seattle WA. I am contemplating getting my real estate license to work as an Associate Agent at Redfin. I am considering doing this because I wont have to pay costs to hang my license, provides me a flexible schedule, I get paid per showing and I would get a 1099. I have a lot of free time on the weekends and real estate is something I want to learn to get into. For someone who wants to learn about real estate, create passive income, invest in properties, do you think this is a good route for an individual like me? 

I am a pretty extroverted individual who enjoys meeting new people and wants to start a side hustle. 

User Stats

Votes
Shain Ismailovski
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Jersey
Replied Apr 10 2020, 11:28

A viable option for sure. I know Redfin isn't bringing on Agent Associates right now with the COVID-19 pandemic, but it may be a good time for you to get started on your licensing courses with the hope that they'll start back up once you complete them. 

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Cameron
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Replied Apr 10 2020, 12:07

@Kelvin Yuchen - I'd get started on your licensing course (since you may have some time right now?) and take it from there. It looks like you can get it online in Washington (check Groupon).  And Shain is right, Redfin just furloughed something like 40% of it's salaried agents. They'll probably be back but it may take some time to recover. 

Just my 2 cents, but I'm not sure going around conducting showings to non-investor buyers will really help you with passive income or investing. You don't NEED a license to be an investor (I bought apartments and then got licensed). That said, there are certainly a bunch of advantages. Plus over time you can build passive income as an agent as well. 

Best of luck!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Haas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • 🌧️ Seattle Investor & OG HouseHacker | 🤑 Helped 90 Clients HouseHack | 🏘️ Own 17 Rentals & 5 Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • 🌧️ Seattle Investor & OG HouseHacker | 🤑 Helped 90 Clients HouseHack | 🏘️ Own 17 Rentals & 5 Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's
Replied Apr 10 2020, 16:33

I've never worked for Redfin, but have had them on the other side of my transactions before. They are not known for having very knowledgeable agents. 

If you're looking for a bit of cash on the weekends, Redfin could be your real-estate version of driving for Uber. If you actually want to learn the business, especially the investing side of the business, I would spend your time elsewhere. 

@Charlie Cameron is 100% right, working with owner occupants and retail buyers is definitely fun for an extroverted person like yourself, but it won't teach you much about REI as working as an investor or with investors is totally different.