New in America, newer in real estate

New in America, newer in real estate

Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes

Hello I am a recent bigger pockets fan. I am an immigrant. I have been blessed to be in America for 2 years and a few months now. I hit the ground crawling as fast as I could, working 2 jobs, living below my means, reading and learning dividend investing. Then I found bigger pockets and poof !explosion! Mind blown! I've saved $32 000 over these 2 years . Should I wait for the market to turn ? Save more ? I live in New York. Not an easy market for a newbie

1Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Olympia, WA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
6y

Hi Shemroy, me too. I moved here in August 2017. How has building your credit been for you?

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Olympia, WA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Hi Shemroy, me too. I moved here in August 2017. How has building your credit been for you?

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2011 · 322 posts · 238 votes
    6y

    @Shemroy Mccarthy

    Welcome. I just posted this adhoc-hip-pocket list to another new investor.

    1) Deep dive into Bigger Pockets.

    2) Avoid Gurus; religiously

    3) Don't make other peoples mistakes ( you will go broke)

    4) Always buy under market value

    5) Add value, significantly!

    6) Never over leverage

    7) Don't burn bridges

    8) learn to love excel and proforma analysis ( if not give it up today)

    9) stay local ( for now)

    10) see number 1

    The question about if to invest or wait is very common here. There is always risk on this field of REI it's a personal call you will have to make. For me I'm blazing both guns at a risk level comfortable for me. (Tip: see number 4.)

    Marcello Di Gerlando

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Jade Bloomfield it's good. I put every expense on credit cards and pay them off every week. Worked

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Marcello Di Gerlando thank you. I was thinking to try investing out of state. I bought David Green's book. I havent gotten to it yet. Still reading Brandon Turner's

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Jade Bloomfield I was in Nov 2017

  • Olympia, WA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    That’s great. I haven’t done enough for my credit score yet but we’ll be buying using my husband’s. Do you have a credit card you recommend?

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 917 posts · 607 votes
    6y

    @Shemroy Mccarthy  Wow!  Hempstead, NY. . .I grew up in Hempstead.  Fond memories.  I'm sure it has changed in more ways than I can imagine.  I haven't been back there in decades.  You've got me thinking I should visit the old neighborhood.

  • Attorney · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    New York is a tough place to live and invest in. With 32,000 saved you can possibly apply for a loan and obtain a multifamily or a single unit. Good luck and use every resource you can

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Michael Carbonare I haven't spent long here so cant compare it to old times but its livable

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Jade Bloomfield I used a secured card from BOA then get their cash rewards card then their travel rewards card. I got an old navy card too. I just wanted a variety of cards and I assigned them their specific Bills to pay. Then I pay them off weekly sometimes before the bill is even registered lol.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Adam Leitman Bailey I see some cheap houses up north for example in Syracuse. Is that a good market to look into or is it a Detroit situation?

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Michael Carbonare I actually have family in Florida. Davie specifically and I have been looking there to buy my first property too. Do you invest in fort lauderdale? Is it wise to get into a condo or town house down there?

  • Rental Property Investor · Davie, FL · Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Shemroy Mccarthy

    I live in davie!

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 917 posts · 607 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shemroy Mccarthy:

    @Michael Carbonare I actually have family in Florida. Davie specifically and I have been looking there to buy my first property too. Do you invest in fort lauderdale? Is it wise to get into a condo or town house down there?

    South FL is not inexpensive.  Davie can be very high end in some locations, and Fort Lauderdale even more so.  Is it wise to buy something down here?  It can be if you find a bargain, Shem, but the competition for those crumbs is intense.  I do my investing out of state, in markets that are more affordable and more investor friendly.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Michael Carbonare. That is so awesome that you invest out of state! I did the free steps, got prequalified and enlisted a real estate agent I hope I can trust. I found some houses that weren't great deals but were at least not bad. I put in 2 bids so far and no dice. The deals get snapped up fast. So I'm no longer hoping for a deal. My wife starts nova southeastern university in september. I will have to pay rent for 3 years. That's around 36 to 40 grand in just rent. I was thinking to use that as a downpayment and just pay a similar amount in mortgage as the rent would have been. She could also house hack. Think that's a good idea?

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Aaron Amarant. Seems like a great place to live. Prices are up though. Do you invest down there?

  • Rental Property Investor · Davie, FL · Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Shemroy Mccarthy

    Everything in my area is pretty pricey and doesn’t make much sense for a buy and hold property.

    I am looking to purchase my first property around the FIU area in Kendall, as I am also going to school there next year

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 917 posts · 607 votes
    6y

    @Shemroy Mccarthy  What @Account Closed said.  Prices in Davie-Plantation-Fort Lauderdale don't add up as far as single family house rentals.
    You said you are working with an agent and you put in a couple of offers.  Where?  In FL or in NY?  Yes, 3 years rent will easily run you $1K/mo, and that's being conservative.  As for investing, don't be intimidated by out of state deals.  We live in the information age; with some know how and mouse clicks you can determine ownership, property values, liens, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Michael Carbonare I put in the offer in and around Davie near the university. Do you think house hacking can work? I dont need to profit much. Just not wasting the 36000 in rent is great for me. I was thinking buy a 150 000 or less condo. That's around 1200 in monthly expenses. Then After the 3 years I could leave it to my mom who has no place of her own and could take over that mortgage with some help.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Michael Carbonare thanks for replying to my newbie questions!

  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Aaron Amarant you have a similar plan to me! Why throw away money on rent? That's what I'm thinking

  • Rental Property Investor · Davie, FL · Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Shemroy Mccarthy

    Exactly! No point in throwing away money when u can grow equity in a asset that cash flows aswell

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Shemroy Mccarthy - you shouldn't wait for the market to turn because you and no else knows that it ever will. You could be waiting 10-15 years! Does it "feel" like we are at the top... it kind of does. Do you remember why housing prices cut in half in 2008? 

    It was because lots of very intelligent people thought real estate was an asset class that always went up. That's why banks were lending at 125% LTV, doing NINJA loans, etc. Banks are not getting as aggressive and there are regulations in place to ensure that doesn't happen again.

    I suspect over the course of the long term, real estate will continue to increase year over year at a modest rate as it did for the 80 years prior to 2008. Either way, you NEED to make sure you have a plan if:

    1. The market increases 

    2. The market drops

    3. The market stays the same


    If you have a plan for all of these scenarios, it's going to be very unlikely you lose significant money in any scenario. The savvy 2008 investors who understood this philosophy got very wealthy from the collapse. 

    So.... you can use the market as an excuse to sit on the sideline OR you can take action, start investing, and start building massive amounts of wealth. I'll leave that decision to you :). 


  • Rental Property Investor · Hempstead, NY · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Craig Curelop thank you. I will not wait. I will just tread a little bit carefully

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.