Few thoughts of caution for beginners

Few thoughts of caution for beginners

Josh CissellBusiness Member
Property Manager · Oxford, MS · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 19 votes

I don't spend tons of time on these forums but occasionally do check in and I also own a property management company so I also have lots of people ask me about investing in rental property. Forgive me if this has already been said but I don't think it can be said enough.

Getting into real estate can be exciting and often times you'll feel the need to hurry a deal up just to get in. Be aware that the economy has been in a long expansion. If you're buying on the high side and something happens with the economy you don't have a lot of room. If you buy in at the beginning of an expansion, even if you get into a bad deal, the timing of the deal will probably bail you out. It's a super fair warning to say that if you're mimicking investors that got started in the last 3 to 8 years, you need to understand they have only been investing an a big expansion. Does that mean they don't know where they are talking about? No, it just means they have not been tested during an economic downturn. Leveraging yourself out and not having much equity in properties may be great now, but not when everything hits the fan. I started in real estate in 2005 so I saw the height of the last real estate boom and I saw LOTS of people lose a lot of money. I saw lots of guys who were making money hand over fist and buying loads of property go under. I saw guys who were worth millions barely get out of it without going under. They were able to stay in it because their pockets were deep enough to sustain them for years, not just a few months.

I'm not saying don't get into the game, I'm just saying make sure you find people who have been in the game during the highs and lows of the real estate cycle and mimic what they do. It's really easy to listen to a guy that started 2 years ago talk about buying 40 properties and want to jump in full speed. But is that guy going to be here if something goes wrong? Maybe, maybe not.

Josh

Cissell Management Co., LLC4.997 Reviews
1Reply
13 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Union City, NJ · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    I don’t disagree with you about some investors not being tested. I recall looking at boats with a buddy and the ones that made a journey across the ocean or during a storm were the ones considered sea worthy, not so much the newer boats as they had not yet been tested. So I definitely correlate the two and understand what you’re talking about. 

    I’ve been at this for a couple of weeks. I’ve been consuming as much as I can. I quit Facebook and placed this app where it was. Basically just been consuming podcast, books, webinars/ videos as much as I used to mindlessly scroll through social media. Am I ready to set sail, probably not. The problem is you’ll never know if you’re sea worthy if you don’t. 

    There’s only so much prep I can do. I can check my math. I can go see the property(ies). I can have my financing options. I can update the math. I can put in offers and if I did my upfront work diligently and correctly I should have a deal along with an exit strategy. 

    Does the prospect of f*cking it up scare me. Yep. Am I going to let the fear of it stop me nope. There is a dichotomy and I think you hit it on the head. You shouldn’t take on the voyage you haven’t prepared for and at the same time you’ll never get anywhere keeping yourself in the harbor. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.