Converted Four Bedroom House

Converted Four Bedroom House

Justin JohnsonPro Member
Fort Smith, AR · Member since 2018 · 122 posts · 70 votes

During my analysis of several properties that my real estate agent has emailed me about, I ran across this one that has really stuck out to me.

This 2 story, 4 bedroom house was listed in the MLS as a fourplex but it is really just a 2 story 4 bedroom house where 3 of the bedrooms are rented out to people. I've run the numbers many different ways, looked at it from all angles that I can think of, and even run "worst case scenario" analysis on it. Talking to my realtor, he stated that in order to get it fixed up properly, each "unit" would potentially have to have its own box and other work done up bring it up to code. I will make sure to talk to a lawyer and city zoning officials (and anyone else I need to) up make sure of the details, but how can people rent out a room in their horse and not be required to do the same? Could this property be rezoned or somehow reclassed so it wouldn't require having the extra breaker boxes and wiring/electrical work done? Is there a way to make this property a single family home, but still rent it out as it currently is?

Thanks!

JJ

0Reply
7 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    It is called having roommates and is fairly common, every college campus does it, I don't see why there would be any law against it but I'm not familiar with the laws in your area.

  • Justin JohnsonPro Member
    OP
    Fort Smith, AR · Member since 2018 · 122 posts · 70 votes
    6y

    @Aaron K. z that's what I was thinking! It struck me as odd. I'm definitely going to have to do some more digging

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.