New to BP and real estate: Introduction

New to BP and real estate: Introduction

Staunton, VA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 15 votes

Hello everyone, I'm Corey from Spotsylvania, VA. I am new to BP and real estate. My long term goal is to replace my W2 income with investment income from multiple sources. In regards to real estate, I aim at primarily investing in buy and hold, but I am not entirely sure where I'll end up and what I'll actually prefer.

Real estate background: The only experience I have inside real estate is owning my own home. I bought my first right out of the military in 2013. After about 5 years, I sold it and bought my current home.

Work experience: My profession is hands on and technical, so I guess I can claim that as a personal characteristic. As far as home repair experience goes, it’s all YouTube and asking around for me. I don’t have a background in home construction/repair, but I love learning and trying projects myself.

I hope to create lasting relationships through BP with experienced (or not experienced! I like friends!) and wonderful people. By January 1, 2020 I would like to finish my first deal.

Thank you in advance to all who will contribute to my future!

6Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Aurora, CO · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
7y

@Corey Martin Like Danielle says, there is a ton of information and people willing to help in these forums. I am from Denver and feel @Danielle Wolter pain about not finding cash flowing properties. I have a few properties as well and let me know if I can be of some help. Do not get discouraged and keep on trucking!

@Danielle Wolter Do you mind sharing details on your Memphis deal? I am also looking to possibly buy some properties in Memphis/Kansas/New Mexico but the biggest challenge I see is getting a good property manager as I will be investing out of state as well. Do you have any advice? You can DM me if that works better for ya! Thanks!

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 290 posts · 253 votes
    7y

    @Alex Billips Unfortunately HOA does not allow Airbnb. Which is too bad because it's a great location for it, especially during Comicon!

  • Colton, CA · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    Welcome Corey, there is a lot of information and discussion boards on every topic on REI. I also want to thank you for your service in the military. You will be able to connect with a lot of wise people here who will give sound advise and hands on experience they have encountered.

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · California, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Grace Johnson

    That is quite an undertaking! How did you go about vetting your contractor? How far are into the process? I am currently exploring the "remote flip". Any information would be great!

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Latisha McAny

    I found my contractor through my real estate agent who also does fix and flips in the area.  We have about 3-4wks left on the rehab.  We ran into some challenges with permits and the city, which caused a little delay in the process.  But as of today, we are good to go!  It is definitely a learning experience being that this is my first flip.  

  • Staunton, VA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Andres Bejarano

    Thank you for the welcome!

  • Staunton, VA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Michael Corso

    Hey Mike, I appreciate your offer and will most likely take you up on it very soon.

  • Staunton, VA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Grace Johnson

    Great ideas for investing remotely.  Just amazing...I had no idea you could do any of that with those companies.  Good luck on your next 3-4 weeks.  Hope everything runs smoothly.  I would love to see the progress and what you learn if you wouldn't mind sharing.  Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Canandaigua, NY · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Corey Martin 

    Sure thing! Ask away - my husband's name is @Benjamin Burket

  • Staunton, VA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Christa Burket

    Thank you Christa.  I sent a connect request to Benjamin.

  • Specialist · Queens, NY · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hello all of you guys,I'm Ozzie, I am new to bigger pockets pro and currently living between New York and California. 

    If anyone is in either Inland Empire area, L.A. or Manhattan, reach out to me so we can get together and talk strategies. I'm a fitness coach so I'm totally open to sharing my knowledge and learning from anyone out there who wishes to share their knowledge. 

    Reach out and lets talk! I got some good resources too on finding deals, yeah! 

  • Rental Property Investor · California, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Grace Johnson

    That is awesome! Congratulations on your first project. What's your timeline for completion?

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Latisha McAny

    We're looking to complete and list it by the end of August...God willing! 😊

  • Real Estate Agent · Spotsylvania, VA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Hey Corey. I’m in Spotsy, too. I’m also new to RE investing. I recently (January) moved out of Lake of the Woods in Orange and converted that property to a rental (my first). Took less than 30 days to land a tenant, which felt pretty darn good. Sure hope that good feeling lasts. I also just passed the RE license exam in July. My W-2 existence is as a certified project manager (not construction-related). Good luck on your adventure. 

  • Jessica GarciaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Grace Johnson:

    @Latisha McAny

    We're looking to complete and list it by the end of August...God willing! 😊

     Hello Grace :)  Please provide an update and what was your overall experience?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.