Mentorship: How’d you guys find your mentor

Mentorship: How’d you guys find your mentor

Rental Property Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone,

I’m curious on how you all found your mentors? I’ve talked to realtors, tried to pick their brains. I’ve not much to offer except passion and a thirst for knowledge but it seems the realtors (whom are also investors) don’t really want to be bothered with my plethora of questions. I want to have something to offer in exchange for their time but I can’t seem to get them to engage. I know mentors should preferably be organic but my interactions with those I get to answer questions here and there seemed forced. Any ideas or advice on how I could seek out a mentor? What would make me more attractive to a mentor to want to give me their time? I’m very serious about real estate and this isn’t a passing phase. Any suggestions?

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 51 votes
    7y

    Hi @Dominick A. -- do you attend a local REI meetup? If so, look for areas that are not well-covered or lacking expertise. For example, perhaps there is a gap in analyzing properties (or making it easier to do so). Once you find that gap, try becoming the expert for that gap or at least be known for a deep understanding of it.

    I don't think the realtors are being intentional, but you really need to have to offer something. Even if you bought a property with a given realtor, it's not for sure that they would be open to mentoring you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Jovon Itwaru thanks for the advice. I'm not too familiar with the REI meetings in my area but I'm definitely going to be on the lookout. Yes even if I have to do odd jobs just to show I've something to offer them. There's so much that I want to learn and if I can become proficient in even one area lacking that could make me more attractive to mentors? I guess first step is finding a meetup location.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Hello @Dominick A.,

    First thing you should stop doing is trying "to pick their brain," just put yourself in those investors/realtors shoes, how would you feel if someone was trying to pick your brain? Instead, approach it at a different angle by providing value to these people. If you do not have the knowledge that is okay, continue to educate yourself through books and podcasts til you can have an educated conversation with an investor/realtor. What you do have is your TIME, if you really love the RE game, then I would reach out to different investors/realtors and say you have 20-30 hours per week (if not more) to help analyze deals, walk properties, drive for dollars, or even cold call. When you switch your thinking from "what can I get from this person" to "what value can I bring to this person" you will see much better results. This is not going to work with everyone because some people are just not willing to give back their time to help others, but if you reach out to enough people all it takes is 1 person to give you a chance. Keep going for it though and educating yourself, have that growth mindset everyday.

    Hope this helps!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.