Refinancing confusion How do hard money lenders make a profit

Refinancing confusion How do hard money lenders make a profit

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I've read books and watched vlogs about the BRRRR strategy. The Lord sent me a hard money lender who said something that through a wrench in my understanding of how this works. I thought I'd be able to refinance based on 70-80% of my ARV which would cover the loan amount plus a fee to my hard money lender and put some money in my pocket. She said that's not necessarily true. She said sometimes the bank will only refinance based on what you owe (which would be 60k). What don't I get? I told her I'd be paying the interest but she said she doesn't make money that way because the interest is paid to the bank she borrows the money from. How do you get your hard money lenders paid? Please explain.

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mortgage Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 657 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    @Kisha Miles simple answer is “points” they/we make our money upfront before you even start to pay the loan back.

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kisha Miles:

    I've read books and watched vlogs about the BRRRR strategy. The Lord sent me a hard money lender who said something that through a wrench in my understanding of how this works. I thought I'd be able to refinance based on 70-80% of my ARV which would cover the loan amount plus a fee to my hard money lender and put some money in my pocket. She said that's not necessarily true. She said sometimes the bank will only refinance based on what you owe (which would be 60k). What don't I get? I told her I'd be paying the interest but she said she doesn't make money that way because the interest is paid to the bank she borrows the money from. How do you get your hard money lenders paid? Please explain.

     Your Comment: "The Lord sent me a hard money lender" Don't be blaming God on your poor choices. Hard Money is usury and is condemned in the Bible. Hard Money Lenders make money by charging high interest and large fees. You should either reconsider the direction you are taking or at least acknowledge you are doing this on your own decision, not on God's direction.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I thank God for the opportunity to begin building my family's wealth legacy with OPM despite having enough money to start on my own. To ye of little bible knowledge... Usury in God's word refers to profiting from what you give to your poor brethren. It warns against collecting interest on what you give to those who are less fortunate. Since I'm gainfully employed and have quite a bit of savings I don't qualify. Even the standard definition of usury excludes hard money lending... The legal limit for interest on a mortgage is 20%; therefore hard money lenders are well within their right to charge 10-15% in exchange for the risk they take and the benefits they provide. Be Blessed Mike.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.