Just Secured a Property with Tenants that are NOT on a Lease

Just Secured a Property with Tenants that are NOT on a Lease

Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 4 votes

Long story less long..

I was able to negotiate the acquisition of a property by offering to pay the delinquent taxes on a home/lot in exchange for a deed transfer to me and my partner (free and clear title and no mortgage) from a long distance property owner who was not very motivated. 

Here's the catch! There is a tenant who is currently on the property that is not under lease with the old owner (and will not be placed on a lease with me [another topic for another time]). 

The property needs MAJOR repairs both internally and externally. A lot needs to be cleaned up in the yard. Plus its a pretty sizable plot of land.

HELP! I know I need to evict but are their other options that I'm missing? Should I start the eviction process immediately? There is no lease tying the individual to the property. How expensive can an eviction get for basically a "squatter" that was never under lease? 

More importantly, how do I insure the property? 

This is literally my first real estate deal ever! I'll go into more details on this soon!

Thanks!

0Reply
17 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Are they month to month (ie paying rent) or are they truly a squatter (paying no rent)?  Check your locals laws for month to month tenants, you should require 30 days notice (often calendar month).  You can offer them cash for keys, give them money to get out sooner.  Do not pay them until they are out and you inspect the place (assuming you are getting a damage deposit from the current owner).  If they are squatters, call a company that specializes in evictions and let them handle it...or go by and let them know you are the new owners and they need to leave bringing a large friend with you.

  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Theresa Harris Thanks for they feedback! They are not paying any rent at all. I'll look into the cash for keys option. LOL! Large friend, I'll keep that in mind.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    If they aren't cooperative, get a company to deal with them.  I'm guessing they've been there a while, so you can't call the cops and tell them they are trespassing (which they are).

  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Theresa Harris They've been there for quite some time. We just acquired the property officially today.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.