How can you tell if an addition to a house is permitted ?

How can you tell if an addition to a house is permitted ?

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes

If I'm looking at an old home or distressed property that has a built on addition. How can I tell that it was added legally? Is there a way I can look it up online?

If it wasn't done legally when apprised how could that affect the property value? Would I have to take it down?

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan WeberBusiness Member
    Realtor · Portland, ME · Member since 2015 · 655 posts · 552 votes
    7y

    You need to go to the Building Department and pull the property jacket and look for a permit. If it is in LA, they may have an online system where you can look up the active permits and history of the permits. In terms of the legal ramifications of it, each state is a little different. In the state of Mass, there is a 10 year statute of limitations (Mass General Law Chapter 40A Section 7) where if it has been there for that long and no one has noticed it or complained, then it can remain. I would talk to an attorney to see if there are any such regulations in Cali.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thank you,

    This home I am questioning about is actually in North Carolina, I will look to see if there is anything similar for NC.

  • Adam SchneiderPro Member
    Lender · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 955 posts · 639 votes
    7y

    @Chis Anen Check online or call the county.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.