Making Your First Deal Count

Making Your First Deal Count

Rental Property Investor · Merrimack, NH · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello Everyone! After Four years of interest, two years of reading and podcasts, and multiple years of saving I've finally saved enough to purchase my first property! I've been attending REIA meetings for months now (8 or 9 probably?) and have made friends with a few people in the industry. I've found an awesome broker to work with who understands what I'm looking for and lends advise, and have been slowly building my understanding of what a good property looks like in my market.

The issue I have is finding a property that will cashflow!  I know that this is an issue that everyone has and is a staple of where the market is at, but I need a sounding board and possibly some advise.

I'll give an example of where I am at:

Over the last few months I've analyzed most properties available on the market, I have developed to a point where I have a rough idea if the numbers will come even close to working at a glance, and have been refining my understanding. Each property I look at (in person, on the MLS, Zillow wherever) I form my opinion on and look at the numbers. Unsurprisingly I've had trouble finding anything I think would Cashflow! Recently I came the decision that I needed to start offering on properties below the value they are listed at to try and find what I'm looking for at a price that makes sense (once again I know not a novel idea). I found a property that won't Cashflow at its listed price, but is in a location I'm interested in and let my broker know I'd like to look at making an offer at a lower price. He got me the necessary information and I put the numbers together to see what it looked like. I had not been accounting for, however, the cost of gas per year which unfortunately comes to a few thousand. With the numbers put in I wasn't surprised to see the property wouldn't cashflow, I was however surprised to see it would be a -$450/mo in cash-flow.  Dismayed I looked into what my breakeven number would need to be and found it around $70K less than the asking price of roughly $275K, obviously not happening...  

This is a duplex and I'd be happy to share the particulars, but my greater question is how to proceed.  Clearly my struggle is not unique, but nevertheless I'd like to hear what people have to say.  My early instinct is to bite the bullet and pay for a list source list and start with some direct mail.  The answer may be as simple as that, and if it is I think I just need to hear it.  This is a multi year effort for me, and nothing will keep me from starting, but feedback is difficult to come by at this stage and I want to toss out my struggles to get peoples input.

Thanks

0Reply
20 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 638 votes
    7y

    @Lucas Knowles Halfway into your post I decided to recommend you to use other sources to generate leads, like ListSource. MLS and Zillow are saturated with buyers, making them unattractive for people looking to get started in real estate. Looks like you already know this is all too true. I would also recommend driving for dollars in your spare time.

    As for pursuing these leads, direct mail is a great option. However, if you don't want to commit yourself to a full-blown direct mail campaign there are other things you could try. Recently I read and replied to a post where the person claimed to get two great deals just by sending text messages. So, what works and what doesn't is very situational. You can try sending text messages, RVM, Google and Facebook ads, Door-to-door knocking, cold calling etc.

    I'm sure you will find success through some of these outlets. Personally, I would incorporate all these into my direct mail campaign. A multi-channel approach to generate responses from leads will definitely yield the best results. 

    I hope I was able to express my opinion clearly.

    Good Luck! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Merrimack, NH · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thank you for the reply Ehsan.  I have felt the direct mail route is where I should take things next, but as much of this process has been it takes some overcoming of feeling like that is too over my head.  I appreciate the insight and advise greatly!

  • Rental Property Investor · Merrimack, NH · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y
  • Specialist · Member since 2019 · 494 posts · 220 votes
    7y

    @Lucas Knowles You should use mail to market to off-market properties. Once someone fixes their home up to put it on the market, they are expecting top dollar.

    Consider using a list broker - they can help find a mix of criteria that can work for your market. Absentee Owners are the first that come to everyone's mind. 

    Two other segments to consider are Seniors with Long-Time Residence and Owners with Low Financial Stability Scores (FSS). These folks probably haven't done much updating and might have put off on some maintenance. This means that they won't be expecting top dollar and you can buy and fix up and things can work with your Cashflow.

    Good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.