First Time Post! Need some sage wisdom.

First Time Post! Need some sage wisdom.

Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hey there Bigger Pockets folks! I've been lurking on this forum and binging the podcast and youtube content for a year or so now and am eager to get started. I've worked to dramatically decrease my debt over the last year with the intention of banking my cash until I found a property I could move on but something stressful has happened. . .I just stumbled upon what I think is a gem, that is off market, and exactly what I was interested in getting started with. The problem is I've been dumping every bit of cash I have into getting rid of debt so I'm cash poor. Here is the deal:

Quadplex in 77581 in a highly desirable area (amazing schools)

2 900 sqft 2/1's renting for $1100 each with one car garages

2 1500 sqft 3/2.5 for $1300 (seems low) with two car garages

Units are individually metered

Owner is asking $480k but seems willing to move. All units occupied until at least next spring.

My first thought was to get an FHA and house hack it and sell my house ($50k net equity), but my wife isn't too hot on the idea of moving down the street and sharing a wall with someone. I've played with the numbers and it works as a house hack but it leaves a lot more wiggle room if we leave all 4 units producing. If you were in my situation would you just stick to the plan and save until you can write a check for a deal or would try to jump on something like this? I'm open to any wisdom that you good folks could bestow upon me.

3Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 5 votes
7y

Hi Mark,

Personally, it sounds like this is a lot to take on after getting out of debt. First of all, will you have money to cover the mortgage when vacancies occur or when repairs are needed? Are you aware that FHA loans have upfront funding fees, higher interest rates and MIP payments for the life on the loan? I suggest talking with a lender to make sure you understand everything that's involved.

Secondly, if your wife is against this from the start, chances are she will be miserable and blame every little that goes wrong or irritates her on YOU!  There are many other ways to build up your portfolio and you and your partner need to be on the same team.  There is an article somewhere on this site about "Why you should not house hack."  Check it out.

I wish you the best!

Pat

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
    7y

    @Mark Pelc Good work getting the finances cleaned up!  A couple of points!

    1. There are ALWAYS more deals, so don't get too upset if you dont land this one.

    2. Talk to the owner about an owner carry of the property with a few % down

    3. Have you talked to a bank about a FHA investment loan? You could get that with a low down payment as well

    4. Could you do a HELOC on your home and pull some cash out for a downpayment?

  • Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    I can definitely get an FHA loan but I'm fighting the Mrs on selling our place and moving into a 4 unit and I believe you have to live in one of the units to utilize the FHA. I'm fairly certain I can get a HELOC but can you purchase multifamily properties like that with less than 20%? The owner carry may be a solid option. I'll have to look into that.

    I'm trying not to get to attached to the deal. When I was flush a year or so ago I tried to get the owner to sell it to me without any luck and now that I'm cash poor she decided to let it go. HA! I guess that is the way it goes.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville SC & Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2011 · 109 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Mark Pelc , what area is it in?   

  • Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed It's in a highly desirable area of Pearland, TX. Walking distance to a beautiful church. Close to the most popular restaurants in the area. Excellent schools. It seems like an excellent deal I'm just new at this and am not sure about how to go about taking advantage of the opportunity.

  • Realtor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Hi Mark,

    Personally, it sounds like this is a lot to take on after getting out of debt. First of all, will you have money to cover the mortgage when vacancies occur or when repairs are needed? Are you aware that FHA loans have upfront funding fees, higher interest rates and MIP payments for the life on the loan? I suggest talking with a lender to make sure you understand everything that's involved.

    Secondly, if your wife is against this from the start, chances are she will be miserable and blame every little that goes wrong or irritates her on YOU!  There are many other ways to build up your portfolio and you and your partner need to be on the same team.  There is an article somewhere on this site about "Why you should not house hack."  Check it out.

    I wish you the best!

    Pat

  • Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Pat KlugYou may very well be right on all accounts. 

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Mark Pelc

    You have come to the right site to connect with like-minded folk. Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    @Mark Pelc I’m sure it’s wonderful and the area is as fine as frog hairs but half a million dollars to get a max of 4800 a month in rent isn’t very exciting . I’d pass on cash flow alone
  • Specialist · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    @Mark Pelc newbie here as well. I would personally pass up on the opportunity for the price alone. Doesn’t seem like a sound first investment after getting yourself out of debt (congrats btw).
  • Clear Lake, TX · Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 33 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:
    @Mark Pelc

    I’m sure it’s wonderful and the area is as fine as frog hairs 

    LOL

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    It is only a average deal ,not a great one. You are not ready to invest yet if you do not have the cash for a DP and a reserve fund. Be aware that taking over existing tenants generally means a turn over. You will have vacancies. If you don't have the bank roll to cover costs you wil likey fail.

    I would pass on this and any other deals until you are in a strong financial position. Stop looking with the intent to buy unti you are tryly ready.

    Pass on this deall it is not that great.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.