The Fear of the Unknown

The Fear of the Unknown

Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 10 votes

As I sit here planning my goals for the week I am struck with an overwhelming sense of fear, my initial thought is "Am I even capable of pulling this off?". A massive feeling of doubt starts to consume me. I know if I am aware of the emotion, but don't let it control me that it'll pass and is usually followed by with a burst of motivation. Yet I keep coming across this feeling every now and then. Who experiences this and how do you cope?

I am in the works of starting my own REI company here in Orlando, FL. I want to begin with wholesaling. I've reached out to some friends that are agents, they meet up with me to teach me some of the basics of real estate, and give me some friendly advice, but that's about it. Maybe they don't have much more to offer as far as investing goes or they're just too busy with their own lives? I am looking forward to attending the BP and CFREI meetup to actually get to meet some people with similar goals and interests, but for now I feel almost lost and that fear of the unknown keeps creeping up on me when I least expect it.

Either way, I am going to keep trucking along, but I wanted to start up a possible discussion with the community to at least have a chance to talk to people going through something similar or people that have gone through it and came out on top.

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 38 votes
7y

Spencer, I know exactly how you feel! Starting off can be really overwhelming especially since there are so many avenues to venture off to in Real Estate Investing. I was in the same boat but once I figured out what I exactly wanted to start with (buy and holds) I made a plan of action to get started. I acquired my first property on my own without telling any of my friends or family members thinking I would get criticized. Once I finally revealed to them I have been slowly starting my portfolio I actually got the complete opposite reaction. I received a bunch of support but more surprisingly INTEREST in joining me and asking me how I did it. Find people that are like minded and/or support you no matter good or bad. Like many other members have said on here, once you start its hard to stop! You will always have doubts starting off and even when succeeding, but no other feeling is worse than the feeling of regret from not even trying! 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    @Spencer Dalberth - be sure to message @Bernadeau C. to be added to the BP Orlando meetup and to get the details on the meeting if you haven’t done so already. We are setting goals to be held accountable for throughout the year 😊
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    I am as afraid as anyone else.  I've just learned that the only winning strategy to combat fear is to constantly learn and improve.

  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Kelly Zingarelli awaiting his reply for the details.

    @Mike Dymski Good advice. thank you.

  • Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    Spencer, I know exactly how you feel! Starting off can be really overwhelming especially since there are so many avenues to venture off to in Real Estate Investing. I was in the same boat but once I figured out what I exactly wanted to start with (buy and holds) I made a plan of action to get started. I acquired my first property on my own without telling any of my friends or family members thinking I would get criticized. Once I finally revealed to them I have been slowly starting my portfolio I actually got the complete opposite reaction. I received a bunch of support but more surprisingly INTEREST in joining me and asking me how I did it. Find people that are like minded and/or support you no matter good or bad. Like many other members have said on here, once you start its hard to stop! You will always have doubts starting off and even when succeeding, but no other feeling is worse than the feeling of regret from not even trying! 

  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Nick Calamia, it is nice to be able to relate to other people and your advice definitely helps. Glad you're doing well with your first investmentand I hope the best for your future. I just need to keep my head up and plow through this initial phase because once the ball gets rolling, I'll be more confident. And yes, finding like minded people is definitely a goal of mine!

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    Fear of the unknown, or even a weird fear of success, is definitely something that almost all of us have felt. I wrote an article a while back on the best ways I've found to deal with it, maybe you'll find it helpful as well: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/09/09/use-fear-empower-action/

  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    Great article @Andrew Syrios and exactly what I needed to read. I even read it a second time. Thank you!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    I feel the same way! @Spencer Dalberth I’m having a time finding reputable information in my area (NJ) and I feel like I’m missing out. I don’t expect anything to be handed to me but its gotten frustrating.
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Spencer Dalberth:

    Great article @Andrew Syrios and exactly what I needed to read. I even read it a second time. Thank you!

     Thanks Spencer, I'm glad you found it helpful!

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    @Spencer Dalberth & @Kelly Zingarelli 

    If I'm not mistaken, we have a BP Meetup on the 1st in Lake Nona? Or is it someone else hosting a different event? Kelly - you seem to be integrated, can you weigh in? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    @Cristian Aviles-Morales, December 1st and the location is off Sand Lake Rd near John Young Parkway. Message @Bernadeau C. To gwt added to the group and to get the meeting details (time and exact location) as I don’t have them with me at the moment.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.