None of my contacts seem to answer. What's normal?

None of my contacts seem to answer. What's normal?

Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 12 votes

I have been in contact with realtors, lenders, insurance agents, and property managers for the past couple of months. I've noticed that while they are friendly and mean well, most of them have been dragging their feet on everything. Every interaction is a missed call, an unanswered email, taking 3-4 days to respond to simple, straightforward questions, and promising to send something over and then never doing so. Even when I want simple estimates for what things may cost, it takes a week of back and forth to get an answer.

You may think, "it must be you, then" -- but I doubt it, because when we do talk, everyone is in good spirits and we are productive. It's just very difficult to keep anyone around for very long. Plus, I have so many questions that by the time I get a hold of them, much of what I was going to talk about has been interrupted with even more pressing questions.

How much of this should I be willing to accept? I know people are busy and I want to respect everyone's time, but another weekend is now going to come and go where I can't be as productive as I want to be because I am waiting on others to get back to me with necessary information. 

What do you consider normal, and when would you move on to working with someone else?

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Milford, ME · Member since 2016 · 630 posts · 378 votes
7y

I would look for different people. You can ask how they prefer to be contacted and what you should expect for response time. Then follow up if they are late. But good people will usually communicate well.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Milford, ME · Member since 2016 · 630 posts · 378 votes
    7y

    I would look for different people. You can ask how they prefer to be contacted and what you should expect for response time. Then follow up if they are late. But good people will usually communicate well.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    I’m guessing, for some reason, they don’t see you as a serious, capable, buyer.

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Wayne Brooks That may be true, but either way, they're often flaking out on calls and appointments that they themselves scheduled. So. . .

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    don't overestimate people. most are terrible at what they do. You don't have a choice but to accept it.

    and they really aren't going to work hard for a beginner. Almost all beginners never close a single deal, it's just more efficient to spend all their time on deals they know will close.

    find great people, show them that you are great, then you'll lock something down.

    also, in terms of estimates. If you're getting estimates on properties you don't have under contract then you're wasting their time. Get it under contract, then use your due diligence.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.