75-100K to invest, age 25, Com. Appraiser What would u do?

75-100K to invest, age 25, Com. Appraiser What would u do?

Appraiser · Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes

I'm 25 yrs old, have around a 100k to invest, and live in the Bay Area. I also am a commercial real estate appraiser so I have a good understanding of valuation of all sorts of commercial properties. I also am expecting a steady increase in salary as I become more experienced in my field, so far I've been appraising one year. I have good credit and plan to invest sometime next year, probably 6-12 months from now.

My question is: If you were in my situation, how would you get started? My market is so overpriced that duplexes and smaller multifamily properties sell at 3-5% capitalization rates and positive cash flow is not possible. I think it makes more sense to rent than buy in my market at the time being. I have family in Florida (central east coast) and would like to invest there. I could possibly have my father be a handyman and property manager while I'm 3,000 miles away.

I realize that there are many different options and paths to begin rei. I am considering buying an apartment building that cash flows and expanding from there. I would consider retail or office space as well. I would appreciate some ideas and input.

0Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Ontario · Member since 2008 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    I'm in a similar situation, 24 years old, just starting out and have about 20-25K to invest. I'd also like to hear what people have to suggest

  • Member since 2008 · 44 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    You are on the right track. Appartments, retail, and office can all be good investments. I know some poeple that are very happy with Retail because of longer lease terms.

    Many investors are going to certain areas of Idaho and Washington. Florida is not bad, you can find good deals there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.