Realtors getting mad for asking them to do their job

Realtors getting mad for asking them to do their job

New to Real Estate · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 36 votes

First, let me clarify that I am not out to bash any realtors or the profession. I do not claim to know everything about real estate/ act like some guru. I'm just a noob who is trying to buy his first investment property.

A little background: My wife and I have been learning about RE investing for a few years. We moved to a new area and decided it was time to stop gathering info and jump in. I came here to the BiggerPockets forum and asked for a referral to an investor-friendly agent in our market. 

Got a referral, followed up and had a very candid and blunt conversation with the prospective agent. I explained that we were looking for a multifamily property to house-hack and or a property with an in-law suite/ garage apartment to generate rental income. I told him that we wanted to work with an agent who owned investment properties in the area and that would be patient with us as my wife and I wanted to learn as much as we could through the buying process. He explained how hot the market was and that it would be difficult to find a multifamily in our price range. Despite this, he had the utmost confidence that he could "find something that works for us." 

He asked me to sign a buyers agreement to get the process started. The guy had a great attitude, he listened to what I had to say and according to the buyer agreement we weren't obligated to work with him if things didn't work out. Good deal. I signed it and the search began.

Our buying window wasn't for a few months, so our realtor suggested we get together to see a few properties just to get a feel for the process. It was great, he was very informative and willing to answer any questions we had. We agreed to meet a few months later when we were ready to buy. Given the scarcity of multi-family properties, I explained that I'd like to keep an eye out for multifamilies hitting the market. He set up a MLS automated search and we parted ways. A few properties popped up over those two months. Most of them well above our price range. It became clear that finding a multifamily that didn't need to be completely renovated was nearly out of the question as the market got hotter and hotter. We reconvened a few months later and he basically told us that we wouldn't be able to find what we were looking for and asked if we would consider buying a SFH. I told him we were only interested if we were able to pick up something relatively inexpensive (our rent payment was crazy high) giving preference to a home with the potential for rental income.

He sets up another search and at this point he falls off the face of the earth. Our only contact is the automated email alerts scraped from the MLS. When a house that fits our price/criteria hits the market we reach out to him for more info, no biggie. He'd send over the MLS report and some notes, and we respond whether we'd like to view the property or not (mostly based on BP Analysis Calculator). When we are out looking at the properties he basically begins trying to upsell us on new build condos at the top of our price range. We remind him that we are committed to finding a good investment property, preferably an older house that needs updating to live and flip. Our criteria were that simple. A small relatively inexpensive house, no frills. We submitted a few offers and were outbid.

Also during that time there were several multifamily properties that hit our custom search. My wife and I purposely wait to initiate with the suspicion that the realtor wasn't even checking in on the search that he set up. I'm not an a** hole. I don't expect an agent to scour the MLS everyday. But we are talking weeks. I literally had to email him and ask him if he even checks the searches that he set up for us. Eventually, it became clear that we were just a nuisance at this point. He said he was very busy and that he was "re-committed" on providing us the best service going forward. We gave him the benefit of the doubt... We took interest in a property 20 minutes away from our original search area and our realtor simply replied: "out of my area." That was the last straw for us. He referred us out to another agent.

We went and viewed the property, an appropriately priced single-family property with a nice garage apartment. Finally, we were in the right market! The new realtor told us that our old agent was very vague when referring us out. We spent a good half hour after the first showing discussing what our criteria were, how we were initially referred, and some of the gripes we had with our last agent. He reassured us that we were not asking too much and he confirmed that we were in the right part of town. He explained that even though they work for the same company he was a buyers agent, so he would have more time to accommodate our search. He suggested we work with him exclusively if we decided to narrow our search to that specific area. We agreed and this is when I learned that the commission was being split three ways. At this point, it all started to make sense for me. We were looking to buy an inexpensive house in a market where people are regularly buying properties 3x and 4x the price and commision was already being split via an initial referral from BP.

Now we are a couple houses in with our new agent. We put in an offer on a house (using the realtors' suggested offer) and were outbid. No biggie, its happened numerous times leading up to this point... The market right? So this evening my wife and I send over a couple houses that hit the MLS this week and ask our realtor to check them over. We already have a showing tomorrow so we ask him to bring the Comps for the house so we can run the numbers. Mind you, I very explicitly explained to him our criteria and even explained to him that our previous realtor simply ignored/ forgot the fact that we were buying a property as an investment and that we did an analysis for every property we considered. In his reply he basically refused to bring the comps and told us that it was his process to run comps only when the buyer was ready to make an offer, that they took 20 minutes to run, and that we were being inconsiderate of his time. Every single property that we have viewed had been located by us. All he does is meet us 5 minutes from his house (30-minute commute for us) to unlock the door and he's complaining about printing out a comp.

I am so turned off by this experience. Before we began searching for a property a real estate investor mentor of mine told us to find a greenhorn agent who would "work hard for us". Man, have I learned my lesson. I've heard about these noob traps. I understand that it was my mistake for not vetting the realtors more. We just want to buy a darn house man. If anyone out there is considering buying their first investment property please get a referral from an investor that you trust. What should be one the most exciting times of our life has become unbelievably stressful and emotionally draining. 

TL;DR: Noob looking to purchase first investment property. Referred to realtor through BP who claimed to be investor friendly. Wasn't investor friendly and attempted to upsell. Referred to another agent who is doing the same thing. Terrible experience that is sucking any joy that may be associated with acquiring first home/investment property.

6Reply
287 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Account Closed, I'm not a realtor, but I think in the end it is up to the investor/buyer to do most of the heavy lifting.  This is your investment.  This is MAJOR for you.  This is your first step of what you hope to be MANY investment purchases.  For the realtor, this is most likely one more showing among dozens he/she will have over the course of a month.

Before I get into the TL;DR territory, let me just say I think the first realtor was not necessarily a bad realtor.  You admit you are looking for a rare find in our current market, a low-priced multi-family house.  I suspect most realtors aren't going to be excited about the prospect of showing you dozens of properties over several months hoping that eventually you will agree to purchase one and he'll get his $1500 commission one day, maybe, 14 months after the relationship started, after 39 showings 74 phone calls 122 emails and a lot of "maybes".

I understand the first agent referring you out.  And I understand your frustration and what your perceive as a lack of attention and dedication.

I think your best solution is to continue to look at the results the search emails you.   Instead of expecting the agent to follow up with comps and visits on every one that interests you, maybe you and your wife can drive by the houses first yourselves.  Check out the location the the exterior of the property.  Then, once you are certain you're very interested, ask the agent for a showing.  Don't request the agent show you a house you know you probably dont want but that your are curious about viewing.  That's wasting their time.  Ask to see only those houses that you think you are willing to put in an offer immediately.  I wouldn't want to ask an agent to personally show me EVERY house that catches my investor-eye.  It's too much work for what will eventually be ONE purchase.

Good luck in your hunt

See this reply in the discussion

88 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed It's like any other profession.  20% are good and 80% are bone heads. Try different realtors and keep on truckin'.

    (I actually don't use realtors for the reasons you describe. I buy "off market')

  • New to Real Estate · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 36 votes
    7y
    @Mike M. Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know that I'm not going crazy! Definitely going to look into getting my license for my next deal.
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed, I'm not a realtor, but I think in the end it is up to the investor/buyer to do most of the heavy lifting.  This is your investment.  This is MAJOR for you.  This is your first step of what you hope to be MANY investment purchases.  For the realtor, this is most likely one more showing among dozens he/she will have over the course of a month.

    Before I get into the TL;DR territory, let me just say I think the first realtor was not necessarily a bad realtor.  You admit you are looking for a rare find in our current market, a low-priced multi-family house.  I suspect most realtors aren't going to be excited about the prospect of showing you dozens of properties over several months hoping that eventually you will agree to purchase one and he'll get his $1500 commission one day, maybe, 14 months after the relationship started, after 39 showings 74 phone calls 122 emails and a lot of "maybes".

    I understand the first agent referring you out.  And I understand your frustration and what your perceive as a lack of attention and dedication.

    I think your best solution is to continue to look at the results the search emails you.   Instead of expecting the agent to follow up with comps and visits on every one that interests you, maybe you and your wife can drive by the houses first yourselves.  Check out the location the the exterior of the property.  Then, once you are certain you're very interested, ask the agent for a showing.  Don't request the agent show you a house you know you probably dont want but that your are curious about viewing.  That's wasting their time.  Ask to see only those houses that you think you are willing to put in an offer immediately.  I wouldn't want to ask an agent to personally show me EVERY house that catches my investor-eye.  It's too much work for what will eventually be ONE purchase.

    Good luck in your hunt

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    Wet Blanket Incoming: 

    Always remember that vanilla retail salespersons work for sellers to sell retail products at retail prices to retail buyers. It's the same for cars and cell phones as it is for houses. You as the buyer at the BMW car lot aren't the one directly paying the salesperson a commission, the seller is. So guess who the salesperson is working for... 

    This doesn't mean it's the end of the world, I pay retail for most things in my life and I'm OK with that. I could make a very long list of the things that I pay and paid full retail price for, and it's worth it because the value is there for me.

    However, if you want something priced better than retail as a noob, then you need to put in the legwork. Source that Beemer yourself if you want a killer deal on it.

    Now, there is of course an exception for folks that are already well established with a dozen doors under their belts and that have relationships with the various salespersons that sold them all that product. But, it sounds like, you're a ways away from that. So you're probably either going to pay the retail price, or you're going to put the work in yourself. Take your pick.

    If you wish to go the latter route, what's your marketing budget? 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    However, if you want something priced better than retail as a noob, then you need to put in the legwork. Source that Beemer yourself if you want a killer deal on it.

     And to be clear, I don't mean that sarcastically. Not many months ago I helped a first time homebuyer purchase a turnkey $1.1m (appraised value) San Francisco Bay Area single family home for well over 30% off that using traditional financing. Instead of using a salesperson, he spent a LOT of time, money, and energy, to score that killer deal. Who knows how many dozens/hundreds of potential & non-sellers told him to go F himself, to score that killer price, and how much time he spent being told that he was all manner of bad things. There is a ZERO percent chance that this deal would have happened by browsing redfin or just checking your inbox for automated emails from a salesperson... that's just not the world we live in, let's be real.

    He walked into over 1/3 of $1m of free equity. That simply does NOT happen by browsing your email inbox or mucking about on zillow.

  • Investor · Pacific City, OR · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 123 votes
    7y

    Deals don't fall in your lap or brought to you on a silver platter by your realtor, especially when you're starting out.  

    You have to hunt the deals out.

    It sounds like you live in a hot market, so your realtor is probably working with others that are putting in offers, since that's going to pay his/her bills.  They don't get paid by just showing properties.

    As suggested above, I'd recommend driving around to look at the listings and running numbers before calling on your realtor to show you properties.  A lot of properties can be weeded out without having to have your realtor show you the inside of the property.  

    You can also likely go online and look at comp sales within your area on your county website.  I wouldn't rely on your realtor to do this analysis for you, since your realtor isn't making the purchase.  It's in your best interest to do that background research to cover your butt.  The more research you do, the more you learn about the market.

    Good luck in your search!

  • New to Real Estate · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 36 votes
    7y
    @Randy E. I appreciate your input. Throughout this experience we have definitely learned to adjust our expectations; and I agree that the first agent most likely had good intentions. We have adopted the strategy you've suggested with our new agent and we always defer to him before requesting a showing. We specifically ask whether he believes it is worthwhile seeing. I think the issue lies in the fact that our decision to buy is based on numbers and not emotions as he is accustomed too.
  • New to Real Estate · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 36 votes
    7y
    @Chris Mason I completely agree and in no way expect to be handed a deal. I fully expect, and have made offers, to pay retail prices for several properties during our search. I run analysis on every property before I send them to our realtor. The only reason I decided to go with a realtor in the first place is because we were new to the market and we've gathered that it was good to work with one on your first deal to help you learn the process. If it was up to me, I would have dropped our agent a long time ago, as all they have done is unlock doors and link us to MLS. We found a nearby market that is priced right doing our own research. That has led us to work with our current agent. I dont have access to MLS and I do not know any other agent/brokers or I would be doing it myself.
  • New to Real Estate · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 36 votes
    7y
    @Sean Lambert I appreciate you input. We do currently run our own analysis on each property before we send it to our realtor. Unfortunately, I don't have access to MLS beyond Zillow and I often have to ask the realtor for more details to get accurate analysis. I was under the impression that CMA's were generated in their MLS system and didn't require much effort on their part.
  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    @Taylor King You need to take all this time and effort that you've been putting into to trying to establish a relationship with a realtor and use it to find off market deals. You definitely don't need a realtor to be successful and real estate investing...bottomline.. Most realtors want to do the least amount of work for the most amount of money and do not want to spend time with new investors. you also do not need your realtor's license to be successful in this business, it will just cost you more money to maintain that license. I would suggest completely reversing your entire thought process and start talking to wholesalers and trying to establish off market deals.
  • Lender · Newark, NJ · Member since 2016 · 695 posts · 252 votes
    7y

    That's the only problem when the market is hot, these realtors don't want to work as hard and just want the check in hand. Just continue to find another realtor and possibly someone who is already on BP and you can see his investments. As soon as you see a red flag move on to the next realtor. Hope you find one by the end of the year, just may need to work a little harder on your realtor. See if you can go searching for multi family a little further out of town if it is not too much of a commute for you. best of luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Orion, MI · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 27 votes
    7y
    @Taylor King I’ve had similar issues with realtors, unfortunately. I relate very heavily to you and your wife’s frustration with wanting to stay informed and being met with resistance. I’m not sure how deeply you two plan to dive into your RE career, but myself planning on doing it for the long haul have decided to just become licensed in RE myself and avoid having to depend on a middle man. If you aren’t happy with how someone is doing their job, then work until you can replace them yourself. This industry is one of the most self-reliant industries out there. Just do what you can to educate yourself and don’t get discouraged. There are definitely good agents out there, but my advice is to see if the pros of licensing outweigh the cons for you and just do it yourself.
  • Real Estate Agent · Waterbury, VT · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 65 votes
    7y

    Hey @Account Closed. As a Realtor, I can say there are plenty of bad ones out there. That said, our job is different in 2018 than it was in 1998. There is so much information that's out there that really our job is NOT to identify the properties. Our job is to help you narrow your search, set up realistic expectations, and then advise and negotiate. And yes, to bring market knowledge. I think there are some unrealistic expectations on your part, but also some laziness by these agents. Yes, they are going to wait for you to say you are interested in a property. They know you are looking at their alerts every day! It sounds like they didn't do a great job of helping you narrow in your focus and they didn't set up the right expectations. Anyone who is used to working with investors would NOT want to set up a ton of showings and do a comp analysis for each. Why? Because as an investor, you should be able to see some quick numbers and get a sense if you'll like it. Seeing the house is emotional, so that should be the last step, after making sure the numbers work, if you are truly doing it for the numbers. Make sense? That's how they could have explained it, instead of whining about the time they would spend doing the comp.

    If you get a fresh start, my biggest piece of advice would be to think of the Realtor as a resource for market knowledge and negotiation, and ask them to be blunt with you about whether or not the numbers look good on something. They should also be able to tell you if you can get a deal on something or if they think the price will be firm. Then you won't waste YOUR time (and theirs) looking at properties that don't fit your criteria.

    Good luck!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Waterbury, VT · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 65 votes
    7y

    And to @Rochelle G., totally respect that attitude, and, is that the best way to gain leverage? You could also become a CPA and do your own taxes, but ultimately you're better off finding a really awesome CPA. Just like you could go find a really awesome Realtor who could do that for you while you focus on your one thing of buying up deals. The gig economy is a fun idea but getting your license isn't easy enough to just do because you don't want to take the time to find a rockstar agent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    @Randy E. Ithink the issue lies in the fact that our decision to buy is based on numbers and not emotions as he is accustomed too.

     Partially.  More specifically, the issue lies in the fact that you and the realtor (almost any realtor) have two different agendas.  

    You want that perfect investment+personal home that meets your living needs and your investment needs and your lower-than-market price.  You don't care if it takes months of looking.  You want to see many options.  You want to receive detailed information on the house for sale, the comps, the surrounding neighborhoods, the local rental estimates, and more.  And you want this all for as cheap as possible -- "based on numbers and not emotions."  Oh, and you are not offering your realtor an extra bonus for all his extra work.

    The realtor wants to show a reasonable number of houses to a buyer who wants/needs to buy in the next 30 days, and a buyer whose personal preferences and expected price align with the overall market.  The realtor cannot make a living if every customer was you and required so much commitment of time and energy for a single sell.

    It's not the realtor.  It's you.  I don't say that to say it's your "fault".  You're an investor, and investors have different needs than most people buying a property for personal use.  I say "It's you" because it's going to have to be YOU that ensures your market education is sufficient and your needs are met.  

    When I was looking for my first investment property, years ago, and I was nervous and unsure about what I was doing, I asked my RE agent a lot of questions and made a lot of requests.  She was the wife of a friend and I knew her well enough for her to be honest with me.  She told me she would be happy to show me houses and give me some advice, but that she was not at my beck and call over a single small commission.  She explained why, and I understood why.  Plain and simple.

    Look at the realtor as a smaller piece of the puzzle than you expected. The realtor is not your personal REI sensei, no more than your plumber will be your personal REI sensei.

    In the voice of Yoda: "Your own sensei, you must become."

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    First, let me clarify that I am not out to bash any realtors or the profession. I do not claim to know everything about real estate/ act like some guru. I'm just a noob who is trying to buy his first investment property.

    A little background: My wife and I have been learning about RE investing for a few years. We moved to a new area and decided it was time to stop gathering info and jump in. I came here to the BiggerPockets forum and asked for a referral to an investor-friendly agent in our market. 

    Got a referral, followed up and had a very candid and blunt conversation with the prospective agent. I explained that we were looking for a multifamily property to house-hack and or a property with an in-law suite/ garage apartment to generate rental income. I told him that we wanted to work with an agent who owned investment properties in the area and that would be patient with us as my wife and I wanted to learn as much as we could through the buying process. He explained how hot the market was and that it would be difficult to find a multifamily in our price range. Despite this, he had the utmost confidence that he could "find something that works for us." 

    He asked me to sign a buyers agreement to get the process started. The guy had a great attitude, he listened to what I had to say and according to the buyer agreement we weren't obligated to work with him if things didn't work out. Good deal. I signed it and the search began.

    Our buying window wasn't for a few months, so our realtor suggested we get together to see a few properties just to get a feel for the process. It was great, he was very informative and willing to answer any questions we had. We agreed to meet a few months later when we were ready to buy. Given the scarcity of multi-family properties, I explained that I'd like to keep an eye out for multifamilies hitting the market. He set up a MLS automated search and we parted ways. A few properties popped up over those two months. Most of them well above our price range. It became clear that finding a multifamily that didn't need to be completely renovated was nearly out of the question as the market got hotter and hotter. We reconvened a few months later and he basically told us that we wouldn't be able to find what we were looking for and asked if we would consider buying a SFH. I told him we were only interested if we were able to pick up something relatively inexpensive (our rent payment was crazy high) giving preference to a home with the potential for rental income.

    He sets up another search and at this point he falls off the face of the earth. Our only contact is the automated email alerts scraped from the MLS. When a house that fits our price/criteria hits the market we reach out to him for more info, no biggie. He'd send over the MLS report and some notes, and we respond whether we'd like to view the property or not (mostly based on BP Analysis Calculator). When we are out looking at the properties he basically begins trying to upsell us on new build condos at the top of our price range. We remind him that we are committed to finding a good investment property, preferably an older house that needs updating to live and flip. Our criteria were that simple. A small relatively inexpensive house, no frills. We submitted a few offers and were outbid.

    Also during that time there were several multifamily properties that hit our custom search. My wife and I purposely wait to initiate with the suspicion that the realtor wasn't even checking in on the search that he set up. I'm not an a** hole. I don't expect an agent to scour the MLS everyday. But we are talking weeks. I literally had to email him and ask him if he even checks the searches that he set up for us. Eventually, it became clear that we were just a nuisance at this point. He said he was very busy and that he was "re-committed" on providing us the best service going forward. We gave him the benefit of the doubt... We took interest in a property 20 minutes away from our original search area and our realtor simply replied: "out of my area." That was the last straw for us. He referred us out to another agent.

    We went and viewed the property, an appropriately priced single-family property with a nice garage apartment. Finally, we were in the right market! The new realtor told us that our old agent was very vague when referring us out. We spent a good half hour after the first showing discussing what our criteria were, how we were initially referred, and some of the gripes we had with our last agent. He reassured us that we were not asking too much and he confirmed that we were in the right part of town. He explained that even though they work for the same company he was a buyers agent, so he would have more time to accommodate our search. He suggested we work with him exclusively if we decided to narrow our search to that specific area. We agreed and this is when I learned that the commission was being split three ways. At this point, it all started to make sense for me. We were looking to buy an inexpensive house in a market where people are regularly buying properties 3x and 4x the price and commision was already being split via an initial referral from BP.

    Now we are a couple houses in with our new agent. We put in an offer on a house (using the realtors' suggested offer) and were outbid. No biggie, its happened numerous times leading up to this point... The market right? So this evening my wife and I send over a couple houses that hit the MLS this week and ask our realtor to check them over. We already have a showing tomorrow so we ask him to bring the Comps for the house so we can run the numbers. Mind you, I very explicitly explained to him our criteria and even explained to him that our previous realtor simply ignored/ forgot the fact that we were buying a property as an investment and that we did an analysis for every property we considered. In his reply he basically refused to bring the comps and told us that it was his process to run comps only when the buyer was ready to make an offer, that they took 20 minutes to run, and that we were being inconsiderate of his time. Every single property that we have viewed had been located by us. All he does is meet us 5 minutes from his house (30-minute commute for us) to unlock the door and he's complaining about printing out a comp.

    I am so turned off by this experience. Before we began searching for a property a real estate investor mentor of mine told us to find a greenhorn agent who would "work hard for us". Man, have I learned my lesson. I've heard about these noob traps. I understand that it was my mistake for not vetting the realtors more. We just want to buy a darn house man. If anyone out there is considering buying their first investment property please get a referral from an investor that you trust. What should be one the most exciting times of our life has become unbelievably stressful and emotionally draining. 

    TL;DR: Noob looking to purchase first investment property. Referred to realtor through BP who claimed to be investor friendly. Wasn't investor friendly and attempted to upsell. Referred to another agent who is doing the same thing. Terrible experience that is sucking any joy that may be associated with acquiring first home/investment property.

     To be Frank you're not worth enough money for a high quality agent to work with you. The amount of time you are expecting an agent to put into you for the pay they will receive doesn't pencil out as a good business decison.

    Think about it this way. Let's say you make $26/hour at your job. If the business owner down the street called you & asked you to come work for him at $12/hour would you do it? No of course not. Same thing here so you'll only be exposed to low quality agents.

    If you want better service pay for it. Offer to pay a retainer up front for the time you are taking to find your incredibly niche product and you'll have better results. This is business. People expect to be compensated for their efforts. 

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    7y

    The more work you do on finding your own deal, I would ask then reduce cut 5 to 6 % see what happens. Mine will do this when I do all the work other than paper work. So, I pay 5 to 6 % to do paper work.

    Fact I think I have found all my SFH,I get on daily, twice a day run the numbers then say ok let's look.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    The only comment I can offer, is that the agent should not be scouring your MLS leads to determine what fits your criteria, that is your job. The agent also shouldn't be expected to run comps on any and every house you have an interest in. Realtors work with many clients (good realtors will have quite a few) and they can't be sitting waiting for a house fitting every one of their clients criteria to hit the market, contact that buyer, run comps, schedule to see it and show it to you. This is what the investor should be doing and coordinating with their agent to go see the house.

    A good investment friendly agent is the one who has a lead before it hits the market and works on trying to get you involved before they list it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brian Pulaski:

    The only comment I can offer, is that the agent should not be scouring your MLS leads to determine what fits your criteria, that is your job. The agent also shouldn't be expected to run comps on any and every house you have an interest in. Realtors work with many clients (good realtors will have quite a few) and they can't be sitting waiting for a house fitting every one of their clients criteria to hit the market, contact that buyer, run comps, schedule to see it and show it to you. This is what the investor should be doing and coordinating with their agent to go see the house.

    A good investment friendly agent is the one who has a lead before it hits the market and works on trying to get you involved before they list it.

     I was with ya till the last paragraph. Last paragraph is wrong for two reasons.

    1. Sending the deal to you before others can see it doesn't expose it to enough buyers. This is counter productive to the seller's goals. The seller is who hired the agent so that's a no go.

    2. Listers last. An agent builds their business by exposure and advertising. By quietly slipping the deal to a buyer instead of marketing it the agent is cutting themself off at the knees.

    A good agent takes care of his client & builds his business.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed is spot on. The best realtors would see you as a waste of time. I am not saying this to offend you, but rather to give you better perspective. After months of looking and failed offers, you just appear to be a tire kicker. That is why the realtor fired you. Yes fired you, by referring you to another agent. If you want to suck a realtors time, you will be stuck with some newbie realtor who has nothing better to do. That may make you happy, but it isn't the best representation for you. 

    Consider this. If your realtor finds the perfect deal, who are they going to call? Will they call you, the broke newbie that never did a deal. Or will they call me, the cash buyer who has done many deals with them?

    Everyone has to start somewhere and I want to encourage you to keep going. Just keep it in perspective that you are starting at the bottom and working your way up. 

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    We are investors because we "see the bigger picture". Most agents don't operate like that, and the ones who do (that have the experience) probably don't want to waste their time with new people. Im sure they have all the relationships they need.

    I felt the same way when I started, and I actually got fired by a buyers agent once LOL. I made 50+ offers on homes, she didn't like that. Eventually though I found an older lady getting ready to retire, she was a sweetheart. I ended up being her last deal. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    @Taylor King. I didn’t read all the replies but I see you are local to me. There is a BP Meetup next week in cary, that would be beneficial for you to attend. Long story short as others have said about you not being worth a lot of money to the agent, there are also not a lot of multifamilies in the Raleigh area. My friend has been looking for 18 months, with little success. There are lots of good agents at next weeks BO Meetup. Just check under events or send me a message and I’ll shoot you a message
  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Orion, MI · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 27 votes
    7y
    @Martha Nowlan I also understand where you’re coming from, however it’s saved me a monumental about of time having my own access to the MLS and has added to my network tremendously. I don’t have to “waste” anyone’s time writing multiple offers a week, nor do I need to limit my leads to only the listings that meet an e-mail criteria search. Most CPAs are required to have a 4 year degree. My RE license took 40 hours, 1 exam, and a few applications to a couple brokers. Like I said, completely understand where you’re coming from, but logically those two aren’t comparible. If the money you spend for MLS access, desk fee, etc is less than the 3% you would have normally never seen otherwIse due to going through another agent, it saves you both time and money. For some, it just makes much more sense.
  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed  It might be time to re-calibrate your expectations.

    One of the very first things I do with an investor is to set up an automated search.  It's the fastest, most efficient way to find target homes the moment that they hit the market - far faster than me picking through listings manually.  In a highly competitive market, getting you in before the first open house can make all the difference.

    If you see a property you like, I can give you automated comps in a few minutes, but I won't.  I just don't trust them - especially Zillow's Zestimates, which are legendary for their inaccuracy.

    My investors want GOOD comps - and those are done manually and take me about a half hour to prepare.

    As others have pointed out, most of the heavy lifting is on you.

  • Real Estate Broker · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 679 posts · 888 votes
    7y
    @Taylor King This agent as you described seems to be a decent agent. You need to understand that he get nothing from you at this point, without a transaction. Respect other people's time. If you want to buy something under the market price at this time through an agent, forget it. You are wasting your time and the agent's time.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.