Looking to connect in the Kansas City area

Looking to connect in the Kansas City area

Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 30 votes
My husband and I currently have a couple rental properties in a small town near Topeka that we came into almost accidentally. We’re wanting to relocate to the Kansas City area and house hack a multiplex, but we have no idea where to start! We recently had a deal blow up in our faces, so we’re a little gun shy and would appreciate some advice and guidance. We’re also interested in networking events if anyone knows of any.
0Reply
36 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Hey Erin,

    Not sure how much advise I can give on the multiplex front (looking for my first fix+flip deal right now.

    But there are a few meetups around town. I haven't been to a lot of them, but would highly recommend the (unofficial) BP meetups. Great group of people from whom I've learned a lot. No pitches or anything. Just drinks, good conversation, and connecting with like-minded individuals. 

    Here's a link the the next meetup this month: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/59.... (there's one that meets in North KC too, I believe)

    Hope to see you guys there!

  • Real Estate Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 749 posts · 399 votes
    8y

    @Erin Auman its RE, it happens. Great call on the house hack. I can get you a lot of advice on SFH flips and rentals North of the river in KC but I am just breaking into MFs. Please reach out if you have any questions on an area or need referrals for subs or an RE agent.

  • Real Estate Investor · Liberty, MO · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    Good luck with your relocation to KC @Erin Auman!  We love it here, so I'm sure you will too.  Good move on house-hacking a MF and lower your biggest monthly expense.  What happened with the deal that went bad?

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    @Trista Fenner Long story short, the financing fell through, but not until after I had shelled out a bunch of money for inspections. Now the sellers are trying to sue! It was a very expensive lesson.
  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    @Mark Nagel We won’t be able to make it to this meetup. Hopefully next time!
  • Real Estate Investor · Liberty, MO · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    Ugh, sorry @Erin Auman!  I can relate.  We had a crappy sub take advantage on us on our first flip.  It gets better.  So many people are afraid of failing, and/or quit when these situations arise, so good job of not letting that get in your way.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    @Trista Fenner We’re out a couple grand on the deal, so we need to let our cash reserves build back up, but I’ve learned a lot since then!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.