Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Grant Wilsterman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Installing Laminate Flooring on Stairs

Grant Wilsterman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Jun 18 2018, 12:34

My name is Grant Wilsterman and recently stated my real estate journey. I am located in Greenville, SC. I just purchased a $50k condo to house hack in. I am debating on whether I replace the carpeting in the property with a wood look laminate flooring to make the condo more appealing to renters when this becomes a rental property. about 650 sf of the 850 sf is 5-10 year old carpet that is in mediocre shape. Is it worth spending $2k to replace this carpet even though the value of the property will not be raised due to a consistent sale price over the last couple years throughout these 2 bed 1.5 bath condos regardless of condo condition?

I am also interested in any options for how difficult it is to lay laminate flooring over stairs with no flooring experience. Would I be biting off more than I can chew by attempting to do this myself?

Wilsterman Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Jun 18 2018, 12:51

It's not difficult but you don't want floating floor on a stair tread; it needs to be firmly secured in some fashion to the subfloor treads. You can do that with construction adhesive or you can let it float and secure it with nailed stair-edge nose trim, which you're going to need anyway to cover the edges of the laminate. Personally, I would do both because if the stair nose trim comes loose there's nothing to keep the floating floor from skipping away. Some laminates also make stair-nose edging that nails/glues to the stair edge and allows the rest of the floor plank to float, secured in a groove in the edging. 

Is this harder than just a regular floor? Yes, because you have to cover treads and risers, cut around obstructions (posts, molding), and make sure everything is secure enough that the stairs are safe. If it were my stairs, I would have regular oak treads put down and then have an inexpensive runner tacked into place to protect the treads and provide better footing. 

As for replacing carpeting, I would do it. W2W carpeting is definitely not in right now, especially in your market (which is just down the street from my market). 

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#2 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jun 18 2018, 15:35

The manufacturer Pergo has an online installation guide in .pdf form that details how to do this well.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes