How much cash to start with hard money loan?

How much cash to start with hard money loan?

Glendale Heights, IL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I recently rehabbed my first house, I'm living in the house, after purchase, rehab and cash out refi to pay off credit cards used to finish the rehab I owe around 170k and house is valued around 210k.  Since I took max cash out on the refi last year I don't believe this is an option for cash to start on another flip and would rather not sell this house if I can get a hard money loan.  I only have about 4k cash on hand, and about 10k available credit on cards which I could use to get the rehab started and get to the first draw.  

Is it realistic that with limited experience and no actual sold properties that I can find a hard money loan with very little cash down?

I completed some online applications one came back unlikely because of experience and others would require around 15k cash. 

How much cash did you start out with? 

In my area I could get a property for 130k, rehab for 30k and sell around 200k  

I could easily get a 20k personal loan to get started but this might affect my credit and chances of getting a hard money loan. 

Also a couple of the hard money lender sites wont let me complete the application without entering my company.  Do many hard money lenders only lend to businesses, should I start a company?

Thanks 

0Reply
25 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    8y

    Even with no experience, you can get a hard money loan for 12%, 3 pts, and 90% of purchase price + rehab.  However, it is true that they want to see some kind of reserves, usually with the $15k minimum you mentioned.  I've seen hard money lenders loan to personal names, but lenders are tightening up in IL; seems like there's a lot of defaults there.  Lending to LLCs reduces their risk.

    I'm actually more concerned about the "typical numbers" that you mentioned. I do flips in IL remotely, but I wouldn't take on something like that ($130k purchase, $30k rehab, $200k ARV). BP preaches the 70% rule, where purchase price and rehab is no more than 70% of the ARV. I do recommend you stick to this as much as you can, especially for your first deal. You need a good margin because things will go wrong, and you also need to account for all the costs (closing, selling, financing, holding, etc).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.