Seeking opinion on "RE Investor Seeking Trainee" Sign

Seeking opinion on "RE Investor Seeking Trainee" Sign

Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 9 votes

Aloha everyone, 

Just looking for first, some opinions on a sign I saw posted in my area recently and second, some good questions to ask if I call this person that would help me better determine their legitimacy/experience. 

About a month ago I decided that I wanted to commit to becoming a real estate investor. Currently I am reading as many books as I can get my hands on to learn as much as I can on the subject. 

This morning while driving around I saw a sign on the side of the road, "RE Investor Seek Trainee. $1,000 - $10,000 2x wk pot." and then their phone number listed. 

I know that finding a professions in my area and offering to work with them is a great way to learn. Looking for an opinion on acting on this advertisement and what some good questions would be to determine legitimacy and experience. 

Mahalo in advance!

Billy

1Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 330 votes
8y
I would reach out just out of curiosity. See what he has to offer and perhaps see if he is credible enough to bring value to your network. He's taken some initiative clearly if he's putting out signs which means he's doing more than most new investors. Its just a 3 minute conversation that could turn into a relationship and if not then you wasted 3 minutes of your time. Big whoop. I would ask him how long has he been investing. What type of RE investments does he engage in. If he's licensed and if so under what broker. What is his past experience. Why does he want a trainee over a VA, ISA, Agent, Laborman etc. Does he have another source of income besides real estate? Does he have multiple LLC's? Hope this helps!
See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Billy San Roman  Don't waste your time calling them.  Look for a good real estate investor meetup in your area instead.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed Hey Michael thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback. I don't often see meet ups on BP for my area but I know there is a Hawaii Real Estate Investor group that meets monthly so I think I will give that a shot. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 330 votes
    8y
    I would reach out just out of curiosity. See what he has to offer and perhaps see if he is credible enough to bring value to your network. He's taken some initiative clearly if he's putting out signs which means he's doing more than most new investors. Its just a 3 minute conversation that could turn into a relationship and if not then you wasted 3 minutes of your time. Big whoop. I would ask him how long has he been investing. What type of RE investments does he engage in. If he's licensed and if so under what broker. What is his past experience. Why does he want a trainee over a VA, ISA, Agent, Laborman etc. Does he have another source of income besides real estate? Does he have multiple LLC's? Hope this helps!
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Gabriel Amedee Aloha Gabe! Thanks so much great advice really appreciate you taking the time to share. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Queens Village, NY · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 57 votes
    8y

    You never know. I called after seeing a similar sign. Ended up paying for some educational program (1.6k) I ended up refunding. If you call; hope you don't have to go thru that lol. I did that so you don't have to. Lol. 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Cornel Smith Hey Cornel! Thanks for taking the time to share. Thats a good piece of advice to watch out for. Good learning lesson thank you. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    So if it cost the cheapest of 1000 per two weeks that’s 26k a year. I believe BP costs 350 a year or so if you pay for it. There is probably nothing they show you that you can’t learn here. Not worth it.
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth Hey Caleb thanks for taking the time to give your feedback. Interesting take on it, I did not see the $$ as an expense I took it as $1,000 - $10,000 2x week potential (to be made). Can you elaborate on your take that this would be an expense? Thanks again!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Billy San Roman I misread “pot.” As “slot”, meaning 1000 per slot.  

    If you think it’s worth it just give them a call but most likely there’s some cost or up front fee.

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Billy San Roman it’s a phishing way of marketing to find people who are interested in hustling. Looking for deals for the flipper... because the deal is the hardest part. It’s a sloppy way of marketing and almost as bad as bandit signs. But hey it works.
  • Personal Shopper & Delivery Driver · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    It sounds like the signs used by Renautus members. You can do a search on the BP site for more insight re: Renautus.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Lane Kawaoka Aloha Lane and Mahalo nui loa for you insight. I will be sure to update if I connect with them. I see that you are on Oahu! Do you attend the monthly HIREI meetings and seminars. I was looking into it and thinking of starting to go to network any insight would be great. 

  • Boxborough, MA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 62 votes
    8y

    Hi Billy,

    I am in agreement with Gabe. Call. What is to lose but a few minutes of your time. You should also go to the monthly meeting where you can connect with other investors.

    Best of luck to you in your future endeavors. Keep us posted:)

  • Henderson, NV · Member since 2014 · 111 posts · 163 votes
    8y

    We have these all over in Las Vegas.  Real Estate investor looking for assistant/trainee/intern, etc.  Paying up to $10K a month.

    Nobody is going to pay someone $10K a month with zero experience.   And given that most RE agents don't make anywhere near $10K a month (according to Google, median salary in HI for a real estate agent is $62K and $42K in Las Vegas), why would they have to make up signs and post them all over town when a real RE investor would know tons and tons of realtors who already know the business and they could train?  

    Believe me, the world is not short of people wanting to make $10K a month.  Why would you even need to advertise such an opportunity?  

    They either want to sell you a guru program where they promise you can earn gazillions of dollars or they want you to do the grunt work of driving for dollars and cold calling and you'll get a commission on any deals the real estate investor buys.  Essentially, you'll become a poorly compensated wholesaler and never make anywhere near $10K a month.  

    Not even original.  You can find the same ads for boiler room stock brokerages, insurance sales, MLM opportunities, etc, etc.  Then they bring in a bunch of people, promise them they can make tons of money, work them like dogs, and then kick them to the curb if they don't produce.  

    It's a scam that preys on desperate people (which is why they always promise astronomical sums).  

    Much better off going to a REIA meeting and meeting some actual real estate investors. If you keep showing up (assuming you're a semi-likeable person) and letting people know you're looking for any opportunity, someone will throw you a bone.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Had one here and they were selling REI education.

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thanks to Bille San Roman for the question. all the answers make a lot of sense they helped me a lot

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Bill R. Aloha Bill! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge and opinion on the matter. Red flags were up for me from the get go as “to good to be true” sits in the back of my mind quite often. I agree with you that this seems like a grind wholesale pitch. There’s a right way to do things and this doesn’t seem to be it. 

    @Orlando San glad that the topic was able to help. Quickly learning how valuable this site is and how willing everyone is to share their knowldge. 

    Mahalo everyone! 

    PS just out of curiosity I called yesterday and left a VM. I’ll update everyone once I get a call back as I’m curious to see what this really is. 

  • Realtor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 229 posts · 159 votes
    8y

    I didnt read any of the responses but its very likely a company called RENATUS. They are a whole load of crap. Its a pyramid multi marketing campaign where you can "make money marketing our classes, or learn to flip etc from taking our expensive classes."

    The best thing you can do is not call them. Instead go to an investor meeting in your area and take someone to lunch or coffee and build a relationship. You dont have to pay these clowns any money to get where you want. You will more than likely have a better experience with a mentor than at a ****** RENATUS thing. @Billy San Roman snake oil salesmen 

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 54 votes
    8y

    @Billy San Roman I went to a meetup I found on the Meetup app a few weeks back. They mentioned putting out some signs as well as a form of people calling in to find out about the meeting. Long story short but it was a 3 hour "pitch" on educational real estate courses. MLM basically. If you PM me I can tell you the name of the company but I don't want to put it out in the forum. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
    8y

    @Billy San Roman, that sounds like Renata!

  • Wholesaler · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2017 · 472 posts · 145 votes
    8y

    Renatus or something similar rings a bell. I actually thought it was called Roxarius. It was a meet up in my area where they went through a presentation that made me skeptical to begin with and then concluded with the great suggestion that I buy their 20k educational program. HAHA!

  • Lender · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    Those signs and Craigslist ads are all over the place; kinda like the folks handing out flyers in Waikiki! Most are selling courses, some look for "partners" having you do the leg work to find a property and give you a small piece of the profit if it fits into their needs.  

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 327 votes
    8y

    @Cody Evans, you and I were likely exposed to the same people.  The sign in this pic is from March of 2016.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Aloha everyone for all the information. Called yesterday and left a voicemail and no call today so we will see what happens. What I gather from all of you is to go to REI meet ups network the right way and get your experience helping someone from that. I appreciate everyone taking the time. Will update if they call back...

    @Al 

    @Al D. that sign is extremely close to the one I saw 

  • Wholesaler · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2017 · 472 posts · 145 votes
    8y

    @Al D.

    I didn't get the group from a sign. It was on Meet Up a few months ago which wasted a lot of my time so be cognizant while you are on that app! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.