Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
Hi,
I'm under contract on my first investment property. I live and work in San Francisco CA and my property is in Austin Texas. I need a recommendation on a good CPA. Also, not sure if I should fine one based in CA or based in TX.
Real Estate Agent · Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 850 posts · 825 votes
9y
@Travis Knight I know a great CPA here in Texas that specializes in real estate. He also knows how to perform cost allocation studies on rentals when you need them. He is based here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. But when works with out of state investors. Send me a PM and I will send you his contact info.
Real Estate Agent · Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 850 posts · 825 votes
9y
@Travis Knight I know a great CPA here in Texas that specializes in real estate. He also knows how to perform cost allocation studies on rentals when you need them. He is based here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. But when works with out of state investors. Send me a PM and I will send you his contact info.
Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 612 posts · 523 votes
9y
Hey Travis, If you live and work in CA, I think you are going to need a CPA that is very familiar with CA tax rules. Even though the property is in TX, you will be taxed in CA.
Also, I hope you are getting a fair deal in Austin, they have really appreciated in the past few years. I still have a rent there. What area is yours in?
Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
9y
Hi Brad,
Do you have a CPA you recommend? I was thinking that I would need one that was based in, or at least knew, CA pretty well.
Austin is a tough market. I've been looking for awhile and found a place around I-35 and HWY 71. Good access to downtown; still expecting some upside from the market moving up.
Real Estate Consultant · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Try Robert Hall and associates in Glendale CA. I work with Tony Watson. He is very familiar with Real Estate taxes and works with my multistate portfolio.
Hard Money Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 21 votes
9y
I have great CPA in Dallas, but it sounds like you need a great California CPA. Let me know if you end up needing one in Texas and I'll be happy to share
Do you have a CPA you recommend? I was thinking that I would need one that was based in, or at least knew, CA pretty well.
Austin is a tough market. I've been looking for awhile and found a place around I-35 and HWY 71. Good access to downtown; still expecting some upside from the market moving up.
Thanks,
Travis
I've been using mine for decades, but I am not sure if they are necessarily any better than others. I'm happy to refer you if you want, but maybe you want to check with Jeff's recommendation also. Send me a PM if you want my CPA's info, I am not sure she would want me to post it or not, so, I'd rather not.
With a name like Travis, I guess buying in Travis County makes perfect sense. :) The area you mentioned is not far from where one of my properties was ( I sold it a couple years ago). I still have a condo just North of there, on the lake. My Realtor has been very helpful, from sourcing properties to assisting in the rehab, let me know if you want his info. He's an investor himself, as well as a contractor. I think he mainly does his own projects, but he is currently helping with a roof issue on another of our rentals there.
Do you mind sharing some of the specifics on your purchase?