Hit a brick wall right out of the gate.

Hit a brick wall right out of the gate.

Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 4 votes

I've been reading a lot and gearing up to start investing. Long story short, all the money I have for startup is in a 403b retirement account through my employer. My plan was to either borrow from that account so that I could pay myself back with interest OR roll a portion of it over into a self directed IRA. After several unpleasant phone calls I've discovered that I am not allowed to do either due to the rules set up by my employer, and those rules aren't going to change. So I have no access to those funds whatsoever, unless I terminate my employment, which I am not in a position to do.

Any chance an attorney could free up those funds?

I was hoping to avoid a mortgage on a rental property, but that seems my only option right now. Problem is that I don't even have a down payment. I do have some equity in my personal home, but borrowing against that and then taking a mortgage for a property on top of that seems like a ton of risk and it would take a pretty magical property to get any decent cashflow out of that. Has anyone had any success going that route? 

I've also considered trying to refinance my personal home (I'm 10 years into a standard 30 at 5% now) and possibly moving into a rental myself and renting out my current home to get some cashflow going. Thoughts?

Other ideas I haven't thought of? 

I've cut all the expenses I can and just saving up would take years.

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 833 posts · 798 votes
    9y

    I think your employer is doing you a favor in this case. Borrowing from qualified accounts is not the most optimal way to get started in real estate. 

    If the prospective rental property doesn't make business sense with financing, then you probably shouldn't be buying it anyway. Risk the bank's money, not yours. 

    I wouldn't use home equity to purchase a rental property. The market is on fire right now so it is hard to find a good deal anyway. I am putting my money into safe, protected positions. This is a much better play if you do intend to put your home equity to work. A loan is a good example of what I consider a "protected" position. For example, if you loan 60% LTV to another investor on a $100K property, you only have $60K at risk on a property worth $100K. You will make money whether the investor pays you back or defaults. The market would have to drop 40% for your money to be at risk. Debt risk vs Equity Risk.

    I hope this makes sense.

    You can contact me privately if you want some ideas on other safe, protected positions.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks. I'll have to read up a bit on that, it's a pretty foreign concept to me. I doubt I have enough equity to pull it off. (~20k).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.