Rental Property Investor · Union city, NJ · Member since 2016 · 203 posts · 43 votes
Id need good accountants, very low cost. I work in NYC, W2 9-5job and live in NJ. Have a home, so need mortgage interest off, 1099 real estate brokerage job too.
Generally who is good with he NJ/NYC commute situation's tax effects and real estate tax savvy.
If you're looking for low cost you're shooting yourself in the foot. a Good accountant will save what you pay them. They will advise you. You don't want someone who just fills out a tax return. And frankly if you're looking for "very low cost" please don't send me a PM because I don't half do my job. My clients pay my for the knowledge I have just like your boss pays you for yours. Good luck.
Sorry, just the brutally honest truth. Consider Turbo Tax if you think its that easy. But there is a reason my business is growing like it is. I love picking up the audit rep work.
You definitely need someone qualified, does not have to be a CPA, could be an Enrolled Agent or an attorney. Just make sure they specialize in tax and have significant experience dealing with real estate investors.
Also check out the www.NAEA.org page in your search. It should help you find someone local. If someone comes to me, I'll send them your way.
If you need help in your search or want to verify something don't hesitate to ask.
For example: I have clients worldwide and things are just as easy as I e-mail them, talking on the phone. I even use Skype and TeamViewer to communicate with clients so I'd highly recommend looking for one of the best with great references that interviews well with you.
So look for someone you can connect with that works out for your situation.