Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Fadel Shamm
  • Investor
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
LImited liability company vs owner name

Fadel Shamm
  • Investor
  • Lexington, KY
Posted Jan 2 2017, 08:36

My agent is suggesting to establish a LLC as I am growing my portfolio to have more rental properties, I want to hear your opinion, what are the pros and cons of LLC?

Do you transfer houses ownership to the LLC? Can you get Mortgage under the LLC umbrella? And how exactly does it protect your assets?

User Stats

Votes
Russ Draper
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jan 2 2017, 22:23

Quick answers (my opinion):

• Yes form a LLC! Use one of those online form places like legalzoom or formacorp to do it if you have to! Do not do this without a LLC!
  • LLC protects you in case someone sues you, limits your liability. Otherwise if they win a lawsuit they can come after not only the property but everything else you own.
  • LLC will have no history, so bank will not lend to a new LLC. Mortgage goes in your name, then typically a quitclaim is filed to give the property to the LLC. you are still responsible for the mortgage but now the LLC gives you protection at least

User Stats

Votes
Michael Evans
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Lancaster, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Lancaster, CA
Replied Jan 2 2017, 23:01

Put each property into its own Land Trust with the LLC as the beneficiary. You can also use another LLC or S corp to do equity stripping and property management. Do research onthese terms.

Stay Blessed!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robert Gilstrap
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Cartersville, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cartersville, GA
Replied Jan 3 2017, 05:47

An LLC, corporation or partnership are legally recognized entities so the state treats them as a fictitious "person" in the eyes of the law so if the LLC owns it then your personal liability is limited to your investment in the LLC if everything goes overboard.

@Michael Evans is spot on with how to hold title but you need to understand what you are doing first so get educated a little and don't let worrying about trusts or LLC's stop you from buying!

Lots of lenders out there who will loan to an LLC but few traditional lenders ever would.

No clue what @Account Closed is talking about jail?! If you buy in your name and transfer to an LLC later you will not go to jail nor will the loan be called due. Equity stripping is way more advanced than you need right now but can certainly be done legally.

Title One Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael Evans
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Lancaster, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Lancaster, CA
Replied Jan 3 2017, 22:32

@Account Closed What have you experienced that would make you say that about  the loan being called?  Has it happened to you? Have you worked for a loan company that called loans because the title was transferred?

User Stats

Votes
Robert Gilstrap
Pro Member
  • Cartersville, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cartersville, GA
Replied Jan 4 2017, 03:42

I suppose anything is possible but in 24 years of investing (15+ using LLC's and trusts) I've never had one called, don't know of anyone else who has had one called and have never heard of anyone having one called. So I suppose in theory it could happen but it just doesn't. Everybody always has a story about one that happened but when pressed for actual details it's always I heard from someone who heard from someone...

Equity stripping is completely legal; perhaps you are thinking of equity skimming which is fraudulent.

Stripping equity is simply having enough loans on a property that no equity exists. The theory being that an attorney who does an asset search sees no equity exists therefore avoiding a lawsuit since there is nothing to take. The most common approach is to place an equity line on a property. You don't necessarily have to utilize the line however the property is encumbered by the full line amount even if not utilized.   

User Stats

Votes
Michael Evans
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Lancaster, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Lancaster, CA
Replied Jan 4 2017, 06:45

@Account Closed thanks for the information.

Stay Blessed!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Gilstrap
Pro Member
  • Cartersville, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cartersville, GA
Replied Jan 4 2017, 08:51

@Account Closed seems like we've had this discussion before on another post... 

The article you mention is funny because whoever wrote it doesn't even understand the fraud they are attempting to explain. The first sentence in the article equates equity stripping to equity skimming which they are not. I've already described what equity stripping is and it's 100% legal and doesn't involve any kind of fraud. 

User Stats

Votes
Lydia Lee
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Feb 27 2017, 20:15

Put each property into its own Land Trust with the LLC as the beneficiary. You can also use another LLC or S corp to do equity stripping and property management.

I think it sounds like a great ideal!