Interest only payment Heloc to finance first deal

Interest only payment Heloc to finance first deal

Springfield, TN · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 5 votes

I'm looking to acquire my first deal this month.  We are looking to finance it with an interest only heloc (against our pesonal home).  Hope to have a total balance of 90k (for purchase and  rehab).    You guys think this is an ok approach?  Obviously looking to flip and pay off the heloc with the proceeds quickly.

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 109 votes
9y

Some people advise against borrowing against your primary residence. If you haven't done flips before, how comfortable are you that you can complete the flip? Will you be working on it yourself or do you have a good set of contractors to work with? Does your bank allow a HELOC to be used for investment purposes? There are a lot of questions to answer before putting your primary residence on the line for an investment property.

I am currently rehabbing my first "live-in flip" to pull a HELOC in the spring/summer. I have done flips with other teams before and I also have a partner that flips 50-60 per year at his job, so I am comfortable using a HELOC on my primary residence knowing that we can complete what we've set out to do. As Brent said, make sure the numbers work before making a move!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Or, you could just rent it out and let your TENANTS pay your Heloc off, right?

    Either way, sounds like a plan! Just try to ensure the NUMBERS favor investing in it! Cheers...

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 109 votes
    9y

    Some people advise against borrowing against your primary residence. If you haven't done flips before, how comfortable are you that you can complete the flip? Will you be working on it yourself or do you have a good set of contractors to work with? Does your bank allow a HELOC to be used for investment purposes? There are a lot of questions to answer before putting your primary residence on the line for an investment property.

    I am currently rehabbing my first "live-in flip" to pull a HELOC in the spring/summer. I have done flips with other teams before and I also have a partner that flips 50-60 per year at his job, so I am comfortable using a HELOC on my primary residence knowing that we can complete what we've set out to do. As Brent said, make sure the numbers work before making a move!

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with @Shannon K.  It can be a cheaper option, but it does risk your home.  Do your home work!

  • Springfield, TN · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    All great comments and good advice. I'm pretty comfortable I can complete it but it is our first and definitely a learning experience. I have a good job and making the HELOC payment myself would not be any trouble so even if it takes me some time to sell the property I"m not concerned. However I am still trying to do my homework and carefully plan each and every step!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.