Looking to do 1st deal....questions...Nola area

Looking to do 1st deal....questions...Nola area

Metairie, LA · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 16 votes
Hey BiggerPockets! So here's the deal....my name is Michael and I own a painting business based just outside of New Orleans in Metairie, LA. I've been spending the past 6 months or so learning as much as I can about real estate investing and it's time to actually DO something about it. My focus is primarily going to be to buy, renovate, and flip (possibly in the Metairie/Kenner location) to start out. Then, I'd like to own several rental properties once I gain some more CashFlow. The plan is for my wife and I to get a traditional mortgage inorder to purchase a home to renovate. Then, my inlaws have agreed to take out an equity line of credit on their house and are going to have a little more than 40k in money that they are going to allow me to use. I plan to use that 40k towards renovation costs, holding costs, & other expenses. My questions for general BiggerPockets users: Would you recommend a single family home or condo for a first time flipper? Or would you just say that it depends on the specific area? Is it necessary for me to form an LLC when I'm first starting out in the investment game? (We are keeping the 40k in a completely separate bank account) My questions for local NOLA area BP users: What areas would you recommend for a first time flipper? I've heard suggestions for parts of Kenner, Harvey, Marrero, New Orleans East. Recently, I've heard people even talk about trying to purchase properties in the areas where the recent flooding has occurred. I would assume that resale for those areas may be pretty difficult, but those areas potentially could be good for acquiring rental properties. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks for any and all of you that take time To read this and respond. Any info/opinions will be appreciated!
0Reply
20 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Covington, LA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    i am very famil

  • Rental Property Investor · Covington, LA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    I am very familiar with flips in marrero.  I would not recommend condos to flip there.

    There are opportunities to make money with single families. I currently have one I'm finishing up there right now. Just make sure you buy right!

  • Metairie, LA · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    Thanks for the advice Ryan! Do you primarily flip houses on the westbank? What's been your experience with flipping on the eastbank?
  • New Orleans, LA · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    honestly, your questions indicate you are NOT ready yet. you gotta read more. there are some really basic things you are not getting. also, it sounds like you don't have much money.

    flipping is...hard. even when property values aren't so massively appreciated like they are now. so much has to go right. you need to know your market very intimately, know your costs to a tee, and have plenty of time to coordinate trades.

    when people like yourself show interest in flipping in this area, it makes me worried that we are in a bubble....only difference from last time is that you very likely can't GET financing now.

  • Investor · La Grange, KY · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    I don't know much about Louisiana so I can't speak to specific rentals or buying flooded property. 

    For your more general questions: It depends.  I only do stuff where I own the property, not just the unit so to me single family is the way to go. When you are in a condo you have more variability from the condo association that you can't control.  Plus side is you don't have to deal with exteriors so it might not be a bad plan.

    LLC's are overrated anymore. It's very difficult to not do something that'll pierce the corporate veil. If it's just a single family home you could look at getting a million dollar umbrella policy to cover any issues.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.