LOC and Refinance

LOC and Refinance

Investor · Auburn, CA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 14 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets! 

I have a question for all of you guys and the infinite wisdom that people seem to have on here. I love gaining knowledge from reading these forums and learning from them. I have a question that I have not yet found the answer to. I am looking really hard for my first rental property, and I am trying to pinpoint the most appropriate and efficient way to acquire this property, and then rent it, without spending a lot of my own money. I have about $14,000 in savings from 6 months, but wish not to use it because I also have $22,000 in student debt that I have to start paying off. 

That is why I am seeking an answer to the following question:

If I find a foreclosure, pre-foreclosure, or any great deal on a home that has a market value that is worth much more than the purchase price, can I use a LOC to put a down payment on a conventional loan, and then soon after refinance that home in order to zero out my LOC? I look forward to hearing the input you guys have!

Thanks, 

Nathan

0Reply
8 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    You could potentially do so, but many loan programs forbid borrowed money as a down payment for a home loan. 

    With that said... "gifted" money, can be accepted for quite a few programs. Would your parents, or anyone be willing to gift you the down payment or help you out? If not.. you could look into a FHA or Fannie Mae Loan... and do 3-3.5% Down. If you've never owned property before.. you'd fall into a lot of low-down payment programs for a "owner occupied, primary" property ;) 

  • Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2014 · 303 posts · 101 votes
    10y
    Are you strictly looking for rental property or would you be willing to live in the property too? For ex, you could purchase a multifamily property (duplex, triplex, fourplex) with a FHA loan and small down payment. Then you could rent out the other units to cover the mortgage. Basically you'd have a place to live AND a rental property. House hacking at its finest.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.