New Investors Meeting in Charlotte

New Investors Meeting in Charlotte

Residential Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 24 votes

Hey guys!

I am thinking about making a meetup group for the Charlotte NC metro area for anyone who is interested in real estate investing, but has never done a deal. I'm talking brand new, zero experience. Whether you want to buy/hold, flip, or wholesale, I want there to be a place to start from scratch.

I know there are other investor meetups in Charlotte (and those are great), but there's something a bit more relate-able about sitting around with people that have the same amount (or lack of) experience as you. We've all got to start somewhere!

I was thinking about scheduling some time middle of next week (June 29 or so) if people were interested in doing this. 

Matt

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 187 posts · 137 votes
10y

Go for it Matt! It's not always about a "profit motive." I for one think it's a great idea to get a group of new investors, without any pre-conceived ideas, and just brainstorm. 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curtis WatersBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 291 posts · 176 votes
    10y

    Matt - who is going to advise these startup investors without a blatant profit motive?   There are local meetups that welcome new investors already at no cost.  J Parker  has a group focused primarily on new investors  that you might want to consider.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 187 posts · 137 votes
    10y

    Go for it Matt! It's not always about a "profit motive." I for one think it's a great idea to get a group of new investors, without any pre-conceived ideas, and just brainstorm. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Curtis there is no profit motive here, not sure why that was even mentioned. It would be nice to meet as a group of new investors, have discussions without fear of sounding stupid in front of experienced investors, or networking with people at the same stage of investing. Can go to the other meet ups too of course.

  • Investor · Jacksonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Matt,

    That sounds pretty great. I am a new investor on my second deal and im trying to expand my network as well. I am a few hours away in Jacksonville, NC however, but maybe we could do business or exchange ideas anyway.

    Christian

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Maybe I can set up a conference call or Skype/Webex with my Mac at the meeting for our out-of-towners :) 

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 101 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    I'm all about the profit motive.  Its not a bad thing if both sides win.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    I think I understand the reasons for wanting to start such a group..when I was brand new to real estate it was very intimidating networking with seasoned investors so I found my footing in a group of people that were on my level. I was reluctant to ask questions and speak freely with those who carried more experience. I felt I gained some momentum from being around those who were in the learning phases of REI. I am by no means a whiz right now and still get a bit scared when networking in the big leagues. :)

    Naturally this is just my opinion which could be completely long winded as well as dead wrong. lol

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    I've gotten a lot of feedback and interest, so I'm working on putting something together and will put it on the Events and Happenings page that BP has created for stuff like this. It will be located in Charlotte.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521-events-an...

    Thanks guys!

  • Statesville, NC · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Account Closed I checked the link you posted here for the group you are starting. Is it the Moore County Meet Up in Pinehurst, North Carolina? If not, do you have any updates on the details?

    Thank you,

    Shon

  • Whitsett, NC · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Account Closed Hi Matt, I'm out of town at the moment, but live in Greensboro area and even though you guys are in Charlotte, I'd be interested in attending over the Internet if at all possible. Iieu of that I'll be back stateside by August 12 and if you host another one (please do) I'd be just as likely to come in person to one later. Thanks for taking the horse by the reins. I agree with most of the posters that meeting up with people who like me are newbies is less intimidating and as such would likely get more of my participation. 

    Chris.

  • Contractor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 63 votes
    10y

    @Lashonda Jones and @Chris Mulvey the meetup was this past Wednesday in Charlotte. Not sure what the Moore County one was that you're referring to Lashonda.

    We had about 10 folks show up and express interest in continued meetings. We are thinking about doing them bi-monthly with the next one tentatively scheduled for Thursday, July 21st.

    Would love for you guys to make it when you can. @Account Closed will post the details on here when the event gets closer!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Hey guys! Keep an eye on the "Real Estate Events and Happenings" forum. I will post the next meeting in there for July 21st like Brian mentioned. I just need to figure out where to have it. I liked the Brass Tap here in Charlotte, but live stream over the internet would be a challenge there. Let me think about it! I'll probably post on Thursday, a week before the meeting, but the date is pretty set.

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Thanks Mat Ruggiero for keeping us updated, I enjoyed getting together with everyone and look forward to the 21st.  I will bring a few property profiles with me for people to take a look for review.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Curtis there is no profit motive here, not sure why that was even mentioned. It would be nice to meet as a group of new investors, have discussions without fear of sounding stupid in front of experienced investors, or networking with people at the same stage of investing. Can go to the other meet ups too of course.

     Account Closed I'd rather ask an accredited investor what might sound like a stupid question and feel confident I'm getting the correct answer. If you don't want to sound stupid in front of experienced investors.... then chances are you won't be getting correct answers. I'd rather network with people who know what they are doing and can help me instead of hanging out in a room with a bunch of tire kickers who have no clue what happens next.

    Trust me.... you will indeed have a litany of questions once you start your first deal. So who among the group of newbies who've never done a deal will advise you on how to move forward and succeed?

    I've been an investor for 7 months now. I've completed 4 wholesale deals and am working on my 2nd and 3rd rehab projects. I am utterly grateful for a group of investors (including @Curtis Waters who are willing to share their time, knowledge, and experience to help new investors like me grow and give back to others.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.