TRYING to get my first flip

TRYING to get my first flip

Bristol, CT · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in Bristol, CT and I've been trying to get my first flip. I've looked at many houses and made offers on a half dozen. All the offers have gone to "highest and best" and my highest wasn't high enough and my best wasn't best enough. Most of these have sold for over list price and I look at my numbers and just can't figure out how other investors are offering that much money. Unless I'm planning to do too much on my rehab, the numbers just DON'T justify the higher cost. 

So I have to ask how you all get houses in a very competitive market? I plan on doing my first flip with much DIY to keep costs to a minimum while still (hopefully) minimizing holding time. But I just don't know what else I can do. 

I'm looking at REO's and I'm convinced the banks are dribbling houses out one at a time just so they can raise the price. The old saying that banks aren't in the real estate business is a lie. Many of the houses I've looked at were foreclosed on back in 2014 and early 2015, which means the banks are holding on to these things for a couple of years - that certainly doesn't sound like someone NOT in the real estate business. If they really weren't, they'd be dumping them as soon as they could and not hold them for 2 years. I get that they want to recoup their costs but it seems more and more that their foreclosed inventory is looked at as a profit center! I'm REALLY starting to dislike banks a LOT!!!

So anyway, sorry for my rant, but any advice that you can give for making my highest and best high enough and best enough would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Stan in Bristol, CT

0Reply
10 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Stan Krupowies

    As someone who operates as an agent in the same area you operate it sounds like you need an agent or someone with experience to educate you a bit more on the local market and how foreclosures work in general. 

    What you are going through is not uncommon in a very competitive single family flip market like the one you live in. 

    Every new investor at some point goes through what you are going through right now.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    10y

    You may be competing with people looking to move into the property and not flip it for a profit like yourself. These people are just looking for a better deal than a move in ready home and don't go into each property with a set price. Investors are not the only ones who buy REO properties. Don't let your emotions get to you, maybe switch up your tactics and look at properties that have been listed for 90+ days and offer substantially lower than asking price.

  • Bristol, CT · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Jake Thomas, I was actually having this same conversation with my agent. In my mind, with the numbers I come up with, there is no way an investor can purchase these houses and make a reasonable profit and the only way someone can purchase one of these at higher than asking price is if they are not expecting to make a profit. And who would not be expecting a profit - owner occupant! As for on the market 90+ days - good luck finding one of them. The vultures around here have already devoured anything even remotely worth flipping long before that!

    @Michael Noto, my agent has some experience in this field, he's done several flips of his own. Whether that's enough or not, I don't know.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Stan Krupowies

    Keep at it then.  It takes time.  Best of luck.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Stan Krupowies

    Welcome. Try calling some REO brokers ask them what do they need to close on in 30 days.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.