Advice for property situation...

Advice for property situation...

Homeowner · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2009 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice on my current situation.

I'm an engineer in the Pasadena, CA area with a great (non-RE) career which is pretty safe, but just covers my family's expenses - including our townhome.

My father recently passed away and I obtained a luxury home in Gualala, CA (little equity, huge payment), a lot leased to roofers in Torrance, CA, which I'm kicking out because of non-payment (~500K equity, low payment), and several pieces of San Bernadino desert property (mostly paid off).

I have the Gualala house up for sale and will hopefully get a little over what's left on the mortgage, if not, I plan on leasing it in 6 months.

I have one desert property in a developed area up for sale. It's already paid off - we'll see what happens. May be worth $80-$90K.

Just finished evicting the Torrance property renters for non-payment. Very little owed here. Planning on selling as lot and using the ~$500-$600K +25-30% leveraged borrow to purchase either a small triple-net lease property or small apartment complex. This would be using the method where I get involved in the new purchase within 45 days and don't pay taxes.

The rest of the desert property could conceivably add up to ~$500K, if it were all to sell (yeah, right). I don't have plans for any of it right now. I'm considering just waiting 20 years on it.

Given all of this, can anyone please give me advice on if the general strategy is sane. I'd like to do what's most lucrative, but not expose my family to too much risk. Mainly I'm concerned with whether or not it's a good idea to sell the Torrance lot to invest in a cash-flow property (as I have little side money to build it up) and whether it's wise to let most of the desert properties sit, as San Bernadino is in terrible condition right now.

Thanks so much for any advice!
Roy

0Reply
14 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Myrtle creek , OR · Member since 2008 · 343 posts · 13 votes
    17y

    Roy, without more info its hard to properly analyze this but I will give you my $.02.Quickly get rid of the luxury home even if it takes a short sale to do it,it will be a negative cash flow monster even if you lease it, I would imagine the payments are eating you alive! The land is a difficult one for me to advise on,I personally don't like to hold land long term because of the negative cash flow while holding. It sounds like you have a large amount of equity which costs you money each month to continue to hold. I would quickly sell enough of the land , even if I had to auction it and then leverage it into some good cash flowing properties that would cash flow enough to offset the negative cash flow on the remaining land. That is the minimum I would do, I see absolutley no reason to keep investments which cost money to hold.Perhaps some land investors could offer better advice. Jim

  • Homeowner · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2009 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Thanks for the advice on the general situation.

    What do you think about the Torrance commercial lot? I could sell it outright and pay the taxes next April, but get out of the market which may sink through 2011, or I could take that money and reinvest it (perhaps with leverage) in a commercial property that I could never afford in 5 years, with immediate tenants.

    My current situation is ok, but I'd like to do something smart short-term and long-term, which may be something of a conflict.

    Thanks,
    Roy

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    17y

    Roy,
    Cash is king right now. Do you have the time and are you interested in REI or would your money be better off in another type of investment? I also would try everything I could to get rid of the luxury home. If the raw land is paid off and the taxes are low keep it if you think the benefit will out weigh the taxes while you hold it. Get rid of the commercial property if you can also. If you think the market is going to keep going down, save the money you get from these sales and spend these next few years reading and learning your target market. When you think you are ready, you will have cash and be in a unique situation to make your move. Just my .02 cents. I am sure a more experienced investor will disagree.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    Going liquid on the current assets and positioning yourself to make a commercial purchase could be a very wise decision. The commercial market is and will be getting hammered in 09 and 2010 so there will be many deals available for the taking. Buying at a steep discount will be key as well as proper financial analysis of the investment.

  • Homeowner · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2009 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Thank you all for your advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.