I'm 22 years old with roughly $50k saved up through part time jobs and internships. I am about to graduate college in May 2025, and will be making about $120k (pre tax) in my full time job postgrad (Washington DC area). I was interested in something like owning a rental property as a way to generate some additional income.
Is $50k enough to get started? Or should I wait it out a couple of years until I have a larger amount saved up. Any general advice is much appreciated.
Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2025 · 60 posts · 54 votes
1y
If you need to stay in DC for employment than I would recommend house hacking something, although I'm not sure how far 50k will take you there. House hacking is the best way to get started in real estate IMO.
I'm 22 years old with roughly $50k saved up through part time jobs and internships. I am about to graduate college in May 2025, and will be making about $120k (pre tax) in my full time job postgrad (Washington DC area). I was interested in something like owning a rental property as a way to generate some additional income.
Is $50k enough to get started? Or should I wait it out a couple of years until I have a larger amount saved up. Any general advice is much appreciated.
50k is more than enough money, the biggest question at 22 is are you ready to buy a property and be kind of locked in for 3-5 years. Everyone will tell you it’s great to get started early, or you can just move after a year, but in the current environment in our region the rent your property will generate after you move out will likely be less than your mortgage, if you are tied to the area and feel confident you want to stay in whatever property you buy for 3-5 years go for it, if you want flexibility rent and throw that money into and index fund.
Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2025 · 60 posts · 54 votes
1y
If you need to stay in DC for employment than I would recommend house hacking something, although I'm not sure how far 50k will take you there. House hacking is the best way to get started in real estate IMO.
Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 107 posts · 34 votes
1y
@Pranav Patel, I agree with @Sofia Komrskova. Consider house hacking where you buy a multi-unit property and rent out the others. The income from the rental units could help you buy a bigger property than you could on your own. If/when you do move, renting your vacated unit will provide even more cashflow.
I'm 22 years old with roughly $50k saved up through part time jobs and internships. I am about to graduate college in May 2025, and will be making about $120k (pre tax) in my full time job postgrad (Washington DC area). I was interested in something like owning a rental property as a way to generate some additional income.
Is $50k enough to get started? Or should I wait it out a couple of years until I have a larger amount saved up. Any general advice is much appreciated.
You should house hack to start. With your budget, depending on where you are working, I'd consider Silver Spring or Hyattsville
Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
1y
@Pranav Patel, as others have said, the best time to plant a tree is yesterday. I would also encourage you to look into the house hack space. with 50k you can easily find a duplex that you could get into for 5% and start your journey.
Lender · TX · Member since 2024 · 308 posts · 196 votes
1y
Hi Pranav! First off, congrats on saving $50k and landing a great postgrad job—that's an impressive start! With $50k, you likely have enough to get started, especially if you target lower-cost markets or use a strategy like house hacking. Consider looking into FHA or conventional loans with lower down payments to maximize your cash. However, if you're not ready to jump in yet, you could spend the next couple of years building your savings and learning more about real estate to feel more confident when the time comes. Starting small and gaining experience is key!
Starting your real estate journey with $50K saved and a strong income ahead is a fantastic position to be in. From my experience, you can use that savings to house hack with an FHA loan, invest in a turnkey property in a more affordable market, or even partner with others to expand your purchasing power. Starting sooner rather than later allows you to benefit from long-term appreciation, build equity, and gain hands-on experience, even with a smaller property. Focus on education, networking, and analyzing deals carefully to ensure your first investment sets a strong foundation for future growth.
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Nice job saving $50k by 22 that’s a strong position to be in, especially with a solid income lined up.
Yes, $50k is enough to get started. One of the best ways for someone in your shoes to begin is through house hacking buying a property with 3–5% down using an FHA or conventional loan, living in part of it, and renting out the rest. This lets you cover part (or all) of your housing costs while building equity and gaining landlord experience.
If you don’t want to house hack, you could look into investing in a more affordable market, but that comes with more complexity especially if you're managing it from afar.