Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Charles Manabat
Pro Member
Votes |
Short term rental in Truckee, CA

Charles Manabat
Pro Member
Posted Jul 15 2024, 14:35

Hello!

I want to invest in a cabin in Truckee for STR. Anyone with insight on the market willing to connect? Shoot me a message. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Lindsay Buchanan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Truckee, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Truckee, CA
Replied Jul 15 2024, 21:11

Hi @Charles Manabat! I live in Truckee and sell real estate in both CA & NV. Would love to connect and help any way that I can! Short term rentals are more challenging in Truckee, as there is a limited number of permits and a currently a waiting list.  Additionally, you have to own your home for a year before you can be put on the waiting list. Rentals for 30 days or longer you don’t need a permit, ski leases are a great option if you don’t plan to use the place at all in the winter. 

User Stats

Votes
Charles Manabat
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 16 2024, 14:04

Hi Lindsay!

Thanks for responding! i didn't know that. 1 year with no cash flow isn't something i'm interested in. Any other markets around the area you would recommend? If you have any listings that have an STR permit already, would you please send it my way? Appreciate it

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Lindsay Buchanan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Truckee, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Truckee, CA
Replied Jul 19 2024, 13:32

@Charles Manabat Placer County (Kings Beach down to Homewood, Northstar and Palisades/Alpine Meadows) have permits available and have for over 2 years. Incline Village also allows STRs, but sometimes HOAs don't allow for them. Permits are not transferrable, so looking something that has a current permit is not helpful for the permit stand point. 

User Stats

Votes
Marian Huish
  • Real Estate Broker
  • DC MD, VA & NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • DC MD, VA & NV
Replied Jul 20 2024, 07:04

Depending on your budget @Charles Manabat, we've got plenty on the market in Incline Village on the (Northen) Nevada side of the lake- Unfortunately we're struggling with astronomical fire insurance rate increases which is causing many to sell. Also, while permits are available, the STR market here has become saturated and receives constant pushback by the NIMBY locals. We're hoping to overcome some of these challenges...

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jul 20 2024, 14:41
Quote from @Charles Manabat:

Hello!

I want to invest in a cabin in Truckee for STR. Anyone with insight on the market willing to connect? Shoot me a message. Thanks!

It can be done. There are obstacles to navigate and those can also be overcome. As others have stated there is competition and insurance issues. Finding the right property that targets an audience will be key. Also it’s a luxury market and with that you’ll need luxury amenities. I can share data and analytics in the area. It can be done well.