Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ernie Be
Votes |
How long for your Airbnb venture do you...

Ernie Be
Posted Jul 13 2024, 17:27

I inherited my stepdad home unfortunately because of his passing...I have always wanted to do the Airbnb venture and thus unfortunately gave me the opportunity. I like the idea of short/mid term rentals more then the long term...one big reason is not having to move all of his stuff...or at least being able to take my time. My question is how long do you personally wait to see how your Airbnb venture is going to go until strongly contemplating long term? I'm not as booked as I would like to be, and according to others they are going through similar circumstances...Do you expect immediate profits larger then your yearly mortgage and other expenses or do you give yourself a year or 2 like other business ventures? Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Allison Craft
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Tampa Bay Area
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Tampa Bay Area
Replied Jul 13 2024, 17:51

I'm sorry for your loss. It's great that you're looking to turn this situation into a positive venture with Airbnb.
I think there is a lot to unpack here to answer your question. If the house is paid off, that takes away a lot of pressure. But sounds like you have old furniture in the house? STR are very competitive today and investing in a well-designed home is key to your success. Generally, I would recommend giving your Airbnb at least 6 months to build some credibility. It will give you the time to adjust your pricing strategy during different seasons and give you time to gather reviews which impacts your booking rates.
You also need to consider the effort and time required to manage a short-term rental compared to a long term. 
Best of luck to you, I hope you find success in whatever strategy you go with! 

User Stats

Votes
Ernie Be
Votes |
Replied Jul 13 2024, 19:26
Quote from @Allison Craft:

I'm sorry for your loss. It's great that you're looking to turn this situation into a positive venture with Airbnb.
I think there is a lot to unpack here to answer your question. If the house is paid off, that takes away a lot of pressure. But sounds like you have old furniture in the house? STR are very competitive today and investing in a well-designed home is key to your success. Generally, I would recommend giving your Airbnb at least 6 months to build some credibility. It will give you the time to adjust your pricing strategy during different seasons and give you time to gather reviews which impacts your booking rates.
You also need to consider the effort and time required to manage a short-term rental compared to a long term. 
Best of luck to you, I hope you find success in whatever strategy you go with! 

Thank you...it isn't paid off but thankfully I was able to secure the lower mortgage rate. I am able to do a lot of the work and also keep it in house so to speak... The furniture is ok and I have been able to be creative with a few things. I just have the personality of hurrying up and wait! Thank you.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes