Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Looking to Connect with Experienced Long-Term Rental Investors in Chicago!

Ryan Shaughnessy
Posted Jul 10 2024, 07:54

Hello, my name is Ryan Shaughnessy, and I am a 23-year-old aspiring real estate investor. My partner and I are eager to embark on our first real estate venture by acquiring a long-term rental apartment in downtown Chicago. While I have gained substantial knowledge from books and podcasts, I am now seeking a mentor in the area to guide us through this journey. I would love to connect with someone experienced in long-term rentals. If you or someone you know is interested, please reach out. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 11 2024, 07:23

@Ryan Shaughnessy

Welcome to the forums!

I recommend buying a 2-4 unit property to house hack rather than buy an individual apartment (condo or townhome). In my experience most condos or townhomes don't cash flow well. It depends on the HOA and other expenses along with your down payment though.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

Magnus Properties LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Jul 11 2024, 14:55

@Ryan Shaughnessy welcome to the forums! You are in the right place to meet folks. I would recommend heading out to your local meetups to meet other investors. The Chicago community is fantastic, and you will find like minded folks very quickly. 

Forte Properties, Inc Logo
Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 12 2024, 12:20

Hey Hey @Ryan Shaughnessy - Welcome to the Chicago Real Estate community on BiggerPockets!

I found the best place to start is at the local meetup groups...make friends with the hosts and who their best connections are.  You'll see it becomes a pretty small world with most of us more than willing to help each other out!

Mentors for me have come in the form of friendships over time, but honestly, most of them were made at an IN-PERSON MEETUP....there is something about physical energy that makes a huge difference.

Happy to connect to share some of my experiences!