Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Gilbert
  • New to Real Estate
  • Parsippany, NJ
Votes |
Analysis of loan types for MF properties

Tyler Gilbert
  • New to Real Estate
  • Parsippany, NJ
Posted Jul 6 2024, 11:54

Hi all. I have been doing some research into MF properties and have had some extremely informative conversations with some lenders and agents (Thank you Rick, Jonathan, and Jake). I’m interested in learning more about any positive or negative experiences from investors on differing loan types . Right now the options most applicable to my situation seem to be:

• FHA 3.5% down
    1. I was informed of the higher PMI payments and the negative connotation when looking at MF properties in Northern NJ. This is a possibility for me due to the low down %, although I'd need to include closing costs and other fees.
  • Conventional 5% down
    1. This seems like a possible better option due to the lower PMI payments and potentially lower rate. Fannie Mae's 5% MF loans seem perfect for this even though I'd have to prepare a higher down.
  • NJ State down payment assistance and a NJHMFA mortgage loan.
    1. This is enticing due to the $15k down payment assistance and additional $7k first generation program. However, I have not heard of how the loan rates compare to the more frequented options.

Context: First-time young homebuyer. High credit score. Low capital prepared but currently building up. Looking in northern NJ to househack.

Thanks all for your thoughts and feedback.

Loading replies...