Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Kotowski
Votes |
Basis for depreciation when moving a home I own to rental status

Daniel Kotowski
Posted May 2 2024, 15:40

I purchased a home about 5 years ago for $365,000 and today the home is worth $650,000. I'm buying another home and renting out this one. Will my depreciation be based on the purchase price or what it is worth now?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Moy
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 2 2024, 16:41
Quote from @Daniel Kotowski:

I purchased a home about 5 years ago for $365,000 and today the home is worth $650,000. I'm buying another home and renting out this one. Will my depreciation be based on the purchase price or what it is worth now?

The following is from Stessa in regards to your situation:

"The cost basis used for depreciation in this situation is the purchase price of the home plus certain closing costs, plus qualified capital improvements (such as a new roof or other renovations). Alternatively, you can use the fair market value of the home at the time of conversion"

Keep in mind, you will probably want to talk to a tax professional to go over all the consequences.  By turning it into a rental, you may be on the hook for capital gains tax in the future vs using the 250k exemption for single filer or 500k for a married couple that files together on capital gains if you were to sell now.  The exemption is applied to people that have lived in the house for 2 of the last 5 years.  Most of the time, you are better off selling the home and getting the proceeds tax free and using that to buy a rental. In addition you can identify a property that performs better as a rental as yours most likely was purchased as a place you would like to live in and not what works best as a rental property.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied May 2 2024, 17:10

@Daniel Kotowski No…you can not use current value…you use your actual basis. It is actually your actual basis or current appraisal…whichever is Lower.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski
Pro Member
#4 Real Estate Horror Stories Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Real Estate Horror Stories Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied May 2 2024, 17:59

If this was your primary residence, I would highly recommend selling within 3 years of converting to a rental to maintain the section 121 tax free gain on sale of a primary residence (250k exclusion for single and 500k married).  Your decision to post this question may have saved you 50-100k in taxes.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied May 8 2024, 12:24

It will be based on original purchase price + improvements made to the house while you lived in it.