Unique New Investor Situation - where to start?

Unique New Investor Situation - where to start?

Lake Villa, IL · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hello Bigger Pockets!

I am excited to be here, and to get started seriously investing. I need a little guidance though on where to start. Here's my situation:

I am a licensed real estate broker, and have sold new construction for developers for the last 13 years. 3 of those 13 years were spent in upper management as a sales and marketing executive, so I have had the great fortune of learning the sales and marketing aspect of the new construction business from both the front lines as well as from the corporate office. My true passion however, is helping customers on the sales floor, and I returned to that capacity two years ago. Due to a project close-out and project start-up both occurring this year, I have a short-term goal to use real estate investing as a way to supplement my income, as there will be a 10 to 12 month gap between my last closing (a.k.a. commission check) at the current project and my first closing at the new project, and a long-term goal of building wealth through REI.

I am familiar with the process of buying and selling real estate, and even purchased my first "investment" property back in 2007, so I'm also comfortable with being a landlord. That investment was not a great one by any stretch of the imagination (the year I bought it should give you some insight here), but it has provided me with an amazing learning experience and thankfully has stayed rented.

My goal for this first year is to generate as much income as I can as quickly as possible. Conventional financing is not an option for me, and I have a very small (almost irrelevant) amount of cash to start with. My initial thought was to jump into wholesaling with both feet, as I think my sales skills would serve me well here and wholesaling seems to be the fastest way to generate cash without using any of your own. But it has been brought to my attention that this may present a conflict of interest because I am licensed, and I certainly do not want to jeopardize my current position that requires me to use my license on a daily basis because I truly enjoy it. So now I am torn as to which strategy to turn to: buy and hold or fix and flip. I understand the benefits of passive income with a buy and hold property, but I am unsure as to how a private investor or hard money lender would make their cut and if this type of investment would even be attractive to them. With a fix and flip, I have heard that it is difficult to resell the properties within the first 6 months of acquiring them because of new lending regulations (it is difficult for potential buyers to get financing on the property if you have held title for less than 6 months), which of course limits the turnaround time and potential ROI.

Because of my tenure in the new construction industry, I have a large network of potential team members (general contractors, estimators, licensed trades, conventional mortgage loan officers, property managers, title companies, etc.) that can be assembled quickly, but do not have any non-conventional financing options readily available. I also only have a very loose business plan that I've drafted, which is really nothing more than my financial goals and a few ideas on how to get there, that I know needs to be improved and refined.

I have been reading and listening to as much content on REI as I can for the past few months (thank you BP!), and recently joined my local property investors association (which so far seems more like a marketplace for businesses related to REI to advertise their services than a true networking group, but I have only been to 2 meetings so am continuing to give it a chance). I am ready to take action, but need a little help with the following:

1. I obviously need a mentor but have experienced difficulty in finding one to date. Suggestions?

2. I my know I need to create a proforma, but have never done so and don't know where to start. Suggestions?

3. Should I explore non-conventional financing options or find a good property first?

4. Based on the information about my situation above, which strategy should I focus on first?

5. Should I create a business entity (S-corp or LLC) from which to operate my real estate investing before I get started?

6. What am I forgetting?

7. What else can I do to stay focused and not get overwhelmed?

I have about a million other questions floating around my head, but this will help me at least focus on my next step. Thank you in advance to all that take the time to comment - I'm looking forward to hearing back from you. Have an excellent day!

1Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I'm not sure about your assumption that you cannot purchase a property, fix it, and flip it in 30-60 days. Everyone I know does that (and I know investors ALL OVER). I've never heard of investors holding rehabs 6 months.

    Now, on to wholesaling. It is HARD if you don't have a MONEY FOR MARKETING. That's what wholesalers do - they find deals. That's the value add. Not on the MLS - but by direct contact with homeowners. It's a MARKETING challenge and marketing without money is like a whisper in the dark.

    I don't mean to discourage you. With your background, you can KILL IT in real estate investing. But I think you need to hook up with people with money to fund a business plan that devotes decent $$$ to marketing every month AND to fund deals. Be the go-getter and the salesman that you are - you will ROCK talking to sellers. But don't try to do this without money or people with money. My 2 cents. I certainly wish you the best!!

    //

    "The man (or Mary) who stops advertising to save money is like the man who stops the clock to save time." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mary B.:
    Hello Bigger Pockets!

    Welcome to BP Mary. It looks like you've been saving up a lot of questions. In general you get better response for shorter more specific questions.

    No you don't have to get a mentor. It is a good Idea but it shouldn't stop you from moving forward. Here is a post on How to find a mentor

    Are you referring to a business plan? A formal business plan is not needed to get started. Yes you should have some idea of what you want to do. You should have a plan and some goals. However the type of formal business plan they talk about in business books isn't that important to get started. Getting educated on the potential pitfalls and risks is much more important than creating a business plan based on ignorance.

    That is fine to start. It will evolve. My business model is one I am very excited about now, however I would have never conceived of what I do now, in the beginning.

    You radar for good deals and resources to finance them should always be on. There is no correct answer to "which comes first the chicken or the egg?"

    You're not going to like this answer. Your priority should be to get your finances in order. If you have no money, and no credit then you need to get to a place where your finances are stable. All real estate takes money. It doesn't all have to be your money. But you do need money as a resource available to you.

    Even if you do no money down deals you need funds for when things go wrong. And trust me things will go wrong at times.

    Having said that, wholesaling has the lowest barrier to entry in this business. This is an area where hard work can make up for modest funds. Keep in mind wholesaling sounds great but it is hard work to find a consistent pipeline of great deals.

    Hogwash. You can do any RE strategy as a licensed agent. You do have to structure your deals properly and follow the appropriate formalities. There are many threads here on whether to be an agent or not and they generally cover this issue.

    That is a question that is tough to answer without knowing more about you and your situation. There are plenty of threads here on the subject. In general it is a good idea. It is not absolutely necessary to get started.

    7. What else can I do to stay focused and not get overwhelmed?
    I have about a million other questions floating around my head,

    It can be overwhelming when starting. Keep reading here and learning. It will get easier over time. The more you know, the more clear the right direction will become. If you haven't found it here yet check out the Ultimate Free Beginners Guide This will give you some ideas and an overview of the business.

    Good luck - Ned

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.