Mold Remediation advice and company referrals needed

Mold Remediation advice and company referrals needed

Member since 2023 · 65 posts · 28 votes

Hello BP community,

I recently purchased my second house, which I am in the process of rehabbing to rent. We had a mold inspection done and there seems to be mold and high moisture content in 2 bedrooms, the kitchen and bathroom areas. I am debating whether to let my general contractor handle the remediation or hire a licensed mold remediation company. The mold inspector said that the contractor could handle it but the home would need to pass inspection in the end. We are addressing the source of the issue, which seems to be blocked weep holes, high brush piled around the periphery of the home, possibly prior leaky kitchen pipes and some holes in the brick. 

What are your suggestions? Should I go with a professional mold remediation company just to be safe? And if so, do you have recommendations for a good company in Houston? I have never dealt with a mold issue befoe so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

0Reply
41 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jerry TaBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 256 posts · 121 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Melissa Faraias:

    Hello BP community,

    I recently purchased my second house, which I am in the process of rehabbing to rent. We had a mold inspection done and there seems to be mold and high moisture content in 2 bedrooms, the kitchen and bathroom areas. I am debating whether to let my general contractor handle the remediation or hire a licensed mold remediation company. The mold inspector said that the contractor could handle it but the home would need to pass inspection in the end. We are addressing the source of the issue, which seems to be blocked weep holes, high brush piled around the periphery of the home, possibly prior leaky kitchen pipes and some holes in the brick. 

    What are your suggestions? Should I go with a professional mold remediation company just to be safe? And if so, do you have recommendations for a good company in Houston? I have never dealt with a mold issue befoe so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.


     I would get the conctractor to do it depending on the severitiy. Extremely severe would be your skin is crawling and hard to breathe when you're in the house. 

    1. Address what's causing the mold growth
    2. Dehumidifiers - can rent from home depot, to stop the existing mold from further mold growth
    3. Concrobium - spray all mold with Concrobium
    4. Primer - use Zinnser mold killing primer
    5. Testing - you can use an air scrubber after all that's done

  • Member since 2023 · 65 posts · 28 votes
    2y

    Thank you for your response. I will get my contractor to do it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.